• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird doesn’t look too good

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Huh, I didn't realize you could do a Glasgow Coma Scale on a bird. Interesting.

Anyway, none of those things are tests, they're just physical exams. If he has any more symptoms, I'd take him back and really push for labs.

I didn't know that either. The modified one is for veterinary use and there's a small animal one, too. Didn't know that they were used with birds.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

I didn't know that either. The modified one is for veterinary use and there's a small animal one, too. Didn't know that they were used with birds.
Yeah...in looking at it, I don't know why it WOULDN'T be valid for birds? Still seems like kind of an odd choice for an animal at a relatively normal level of arousal.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, you did the right thing & you can relax a bit but be watchful as don;t know what she looked at for an hour but the bill was not too bad but should have included a crop & vent swab at min just saying...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Used as a reference measure and maybe a means for that vet to say here's a score/number and this is what it means instead of just saying that based on physical exam your bird looks OK.
I don't believe the bird was presenting with any neurological issues. :think1:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so happy that you got some help with the situation, thanks for letting us know. The members here are all giving you good advice, I hope all works out well for you both.