• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird doesn’t look too good

pup

Sitting on the front steps
I’ve had my bird, Paco, a green cheek conure (pineapple variant) for 10 months now. Paco is about over a year (5 months when I got him). Just today he started acting strange. In the morning he was his same old self, playing with his toys, chatting a bit, and moving around a lot. After a couple hours or so, he started to just sit on top of his little bed, fluffed up, not moving. I decided to take him out and put him on his T-Stand. A couple minutes later, he flew towards underneath our couch. Like always, I try to get him calmly and quietly from under the couch. He goes to cuddle my hand and then starts to regurgitate. It was only a bit, so I wiped it off and put him back on the T-Stand. We listen to music and then, I have to do something so I put him back in the cage. I come back to see him on top of his bed again, fluffy. He wasn’t chirping or anything, he was the quietest I’ve ever seen him. Should I take him to the vet, or is this normal?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No it doesn't sound at all normal for a gcc. Do you have an avian vet because if you do I think you need to take him in ASAP. A fluffed up quiet bird who is not behaving normally is usually not a good thing. If you don't have a vet, let us know what state and city you are closest too. Member will try to help you find a vet for Paco.

Meanwhile, try to cover part of his cage and keep him quiet and warm. The regurge may be because you're his BFF but if he wants to cuddle with you, I'd suggest getting a hand towel and using it as a bed to hold him while you cuddle.

pup

No, we don’t have an Avian Vet around here, we live in Pemberton, New Jersey.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like he needs to be seen by a vet. You can check here to find a vet. Vets listed here may or may not be avian certified but they generally do have experience treating birds. If you call around it's good to ask how many birds they see daily, weekly or monthly. Hope all will be well.
https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

pup

Thanks, everyone I appreciate it! I’ll contact a vet as soon as I get home. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks, everyone I appreciate it! I’ll contact a vet as soon as I get home. :)
Good thoughts going out to Paco...

pup

image.jpg UPDATE: I just got home to call some vets, but they’re closed unfortunately. The good news is that Paco is happy to see me, so he started moving a lot more than earlier. He is still really quiet though. I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on him and how he’s doing.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Keep trying to reach an avian vet and go as soon as you can. He doesn't look like he feels well, all fluffed like that. (Gorgeous bird, tho). As Sandrak said, keep him warm and quiet.

pup

Okay, I will. I’ll see if he’ll allow me to keep him upstairs since it’s warmer up there. Tomorrow I’ll make an appointment with one of the Avian Vets listed above.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Are you sure Paco is a "he"? Paco may be a girl and could be eggspecting. Birds don't need to mate to lay eggs (like chickens), so you may find that Paco is a Pepa.

pup

I don’t know if Paco is a boy or a girl, I just say “he.” I have not gotten a chance to dna test Paco yet. You might be right, since Paco likes to go under the couch and I heard that that means that they might lay an egg.

pup

UPDATE: Just now Paco actually threw up some clear liquid stuff. He didn’t flick it or anything he just let it pour out of his mouth. He hasn’t pooped, he hasn’t eaten anything, he’s just been drinking water. I can’t do anything to help him since all the vets are closed. Is there anything I can do at home to help him??

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That does not sound good.

No poops????Not eating???

Good hes drinking water but maybe too much water???

Sounds like something is not right...Least he's drinking...

Keep him warm & get him to a vet asap. Try to get him to eat somethingsoft maybe? How long has he not eaten? It might be best not to fill up the stomach/crop at this point. Long as hes drinking that is the most critical.

Too bad vets are closed on holidays & most emergency vets know little about birds...Sad

pup

I have no idea when he stopped eating or stopped pooping since I had just came home from my grandparents house. As soon as I came home I noticed that he wasn’t eating or pooping.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Pup, you can take him to Northstar Vets in Maple Shade or Robbinsville and they will call one of their avian vets to consult with the vet on duty via phone. They are open 24/7.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Updates please!

pup

image.jpg UPDATE: I don’t have any of that Karo syrup, but I just walked in to find him eating once again. I even heard a little bit of a chirp from him!
Sorry I didn’t get to the message as quickly as someone replied, my phone was dead.

Last edited: