• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My BFA Pair for Melissaparrots!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So, I have a bonded pair of Blue Fronted Amazons. Bobo (the male) and Harley (the female). I thought I would share a little about them since I don't talk about them much and get some pictures in here too!:) For BFAs, the male isn't nearly as aggressive as he could be which is why I tagged Melissa in the subject line of the thread. Melissa, can you share with us about your bonded pairs of Amazons and how aggressive your males can be?:)

Bobo is a bit aggressive but not bad for having a girlfriend! He's popped out of the feeder door a few times but he's a slow mover. He's fully flighted and has come after me but halfheartedly. I can usually get him to step up onto a stick and get him back into the cage fairly easily but I have to angle the stick right or he'll move up the stick to get me!:) He also chases me when I try to change food and water but it's never been much of a problem and if I try to move the cage around, I have to be careful to watch for him because he'll come after my hands if he can get them.

Harley is a petite little sweetheart who is afraid of hands and is a cutie if you take her out alone. When she's with Bobo, she likes to boss him around. Together they are pretty funny, always kind of just telling each other what to do but neither of them ever listens to the other. I thought about separating them at one time because I thought Bobo wasn't letting Harley get to the food because she was so thin, but it turns out she's just a tiny little thing and she missed Bobo, so I returned her to him and they seem to really like each other's company.

I've never given them a nestbox, so I've never gotten any eggs which is fine by me. Unlike my slutty Galah pair, I've never seen Bobo even try to mount Harley but I'm sure he's a boy and she's a girl. Harley doesn't really say anything in human, but Bobo has a few sayings like "Pick me up" and "Scratch my head" neither of which I will do because I like all the digits on my hands! He also says the name "Sophia" all the time...which I don't really understand because I was clearly told that Harley's name was Harley!:)

They are incredibly stunning and my pictures cannot do them justice. The red on the sides of their wings is spectacular! Iris doesn't have that...probably because she's a brat and they don't give those colors out to brats!:)

With that, I give you Harley and Bobo:

Bobo is such a dork sometimes!:)
DSC06783.JPG DSC06784.JPG DSC06790.JPG DSC06791.JPG DSC06793.JPG DSC06794.JPG DSC06795.JPG DSC06796.JPG DSC06797.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're so cute!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
They are beautiful! In a few of the pictures, it definitely, looks like Bobo wants to eat you.:wacky:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
They are gorgeous! Love that Amazon fluff. A warning I know I take seriously. ;)
You know, he's really not that aggressive for a BFA with a girlfriend but I still don't want to scratch his head or pick him up! HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA! I will try to get away with a foot rub every now and then just to aggravate him though!:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing. They are beautiful. Do you feel that the blue on the head has decreased with age? I notice that with Casey. Much more blue when he was younger.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
How do you EVER get harley out with bobo playing goalie like that? haha
I have to let them both come out and then I either put Bobo back with a stick or pick up Harley. She will step up for me, mostly on a stick. He's really not so bad, especially when out of the cage.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks for sharing. They are beautiful. Do you feel that the blue on the head has decreased with age? I notice that with Casey. Much more blue when he was younger.
I haven't really noticed. I haven't had any of the BFAs for more than a few years now. I'm absolutely stunned by the amount of red on the shoulders of my pair and the lack of it on Iris!:) It's amazing how different they can be in coloring!:) I've also noticed in Amarillio YHA and Abigail YCA that they are getting more and more red feathers in their yellow crowns...I think that's gorgeous!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I love the BFA's.They are my favorite amazon to look at. I think it's the dark beak that attracts me.

Your two are beautiful, love that you are postings so many photos now. :)
I go in spurts! Wait until I have my surgery and I'm up and running full speed!:wideyed:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are a gorgeous pair. I'm sorry I didn't respond until just now. Somehow I missed this post. Count yourself lucky that your male is easily managed. Mine wants to kill me. If he escapes and I blindly walk into the bird room, I'm likely to have a piece of missing from me if I'm not fast enough. He stalks me from the inside of his cage when I'm changing bowls and I never casually put my hand on his cage. Doing so would result in an ER visit. Thankfully, he's only escaped a couple times but on both occasions I walked into the room had a sixth sense something was up, managed to duck just in the nick of time as Oscar launched himself at me, hit the wall, slid down and then chased me on foot until I high stepped it onto a chair or shoved something between us which he immediately started attacking instead of my feet. Somehow I missed your Amarillo post so I'm off to read that now too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
They are a gorgeous pair. I'm sorry I didn't respond until just now. Somehow I missed this post. Count yourself lucky that your male is easily managed. Mine wants to kill me. If he escapes and I blindly walk into the bird room, I'm likely to have a piece of missing from me if I'm not fast enough. He stalks me from the inside of his cage when I'm changing bowls and I never casually put my hand on his cage. Doing so would result in an ER visit. Thankfully, he's only escaped a couple times but on both occasions I walked into the room had a sixth sense something was up, managed to duck just in the nick of time as Oscar launched himself at me, hit the wall, slid down and then chased me on foot until I high stepped it onto a chair or shoved something between us which he immediately started attacking instead of my feet. Somehow I missed your Amarillo post so I'm off to read that now too.
I'm assuming you don't clip Oscar!:) I'm also assuming Oscar has a girlfriend!:) I get the stalking from Bobo in the cage too but it's halfhearted. I have to be careful about putting my hands on the cage because he will go after them and will bite...that's his cage and I shouldn't touch it! He's gotten out a few times through the feeder door and comes after me but he's just not that aggressive for a male BFA. He's landed on me a couple of times and doesn't even try to bite right away or if he did bite it's not bad. When he does get out, if I let him be, he'll find a place to sit and just hang out as long as I don't get too close. I think he could be a great bird if I separated him and Harley but they seem to really like being together. I don't think they've ever produced but I feel bad separating them. I would kill to have some serious time to work with them and see where I could get but someone in my family seems to think I should work for a living instead of hanging out with birds all day...what a silly concept, but I do what I'm told! LOL!

As for Ami...she's doing great and I'm grateful for that! Hopefully the second surgery in a few weeks will be successful!:)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really enjoyed this post. Leaning about your beautiful amazon pair :heart: and the pictures are great:laughing12: I'd never touch the cage :blink:

Thanks for sharing:D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I really enjoyed this post. Leaning about your beautiful amazon pair :heart: and the pictures are great:laughing12: I'd never touch the cage :blink:

Thanks for sharing:D
They're really a neat pair. Bobo is funny...he talks a lot and everything he asks for I will not do! Pick me up...Please! LOL!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful pair ...my girlie is still very hands off after 1 1/2 yrs of being with me ..she is so shy ..she takes treats from me but thats it ...I dont push her as that results in a very tender bite if you can even call it a bite ...she would just rather be one of those birds that watches from the side line ...not to sure if its because thats how she was treated before I got her ..I tend to think so ...I guess Im glad she is not a male or it sounds like I might be in trouble ...I love her to death though ...she is the greatest bird ...I love the pics you got of yours they are wonderful ..Lagatha is so scared of the camera/phone I can never get a good pick of her ...you pair sound delightful to be around :)