• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My BFA and my children

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Ok, so Zora is doing great! She's settling into her new home nicely, and I think she's quite happy.
EXCEPT... She lunges at both of my older two boys (11 & 14 yrs) whenever they walk by her cage, or if she feels they're within snatching distance. Neither of them have done anything to her, I'm 100% certain of that. It's been that way since the day she got here. I have them stand back away from her and just talk gently to her, trying to show her that they're gentle and nice. But she continues to do mini snatches at them while they talk to her.
Being a rescue, I'm don't know all of her history, but clearly some boys teased or her at some point. She doesn't act like that towards my 5 year old. She's even taken a treat from the 5 yr old when we were at the vet appt. It's just the older boys. They really want her to like them, of course, we all do. Any suggestions??

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Take it slow! She may need up to a year (or longer) to learn that your boys aren't going to hurt her.

You could start the process by making your boys the source of her favorite treat. When she is secure in her cage (nipping less possible), have one or the other of them walk by casually without making direct eye contact and drop a favorite treat into her cage/bowl below the level of her body (dropping from high up means reaching and high hands are scary hands).

If this is too stressful for her, if she runs away or starts screaming when they approach her cage from an angle (coming face forward can be threatening! Especially with direct eye contact... it's how predator animals stalk prey animals), then you might want to start with having them in the room for computer/game time as close to her cage as she is comfortable having them. This is called ambient attention and allows her to see them as neutral instead of a threat.

Another important thing to consider is how her cage/play area is set up relative to the doors. Skittish birds do best if they have a clear view of entry ways so that anyone approaching them is seen/heard with quite a lot of warning. Having people pop out from around a corner very near the cage may cause increased stress and self-defensive behavior.

Above all, know that she's going to take most of her cues from you. If you're tense (anticipating a bite) then she'll be tense (and try to do it)! If you're calm and relaxed, she'll be less inclined to see your boys as a threat as time proves them to be friends.

You have a journey ahead of you but if your boys are up for the challenge of winning her over, you have the potential for many happy years together!

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm in the same situation. Layla loves 4 of us in the family and despises my 13 year old daughter and 15 year old son. She adores my 7 year old son and likes my 11 year old son. The teenagers are fine with it and just talk to her at a distance. I am her third home. Both of her homes prior to me had no children. I think she just decided teenagers stink and that's that. Lol. I don't think I'll ever change her mind about it either. Hopefully in time you can change your girls mind about your boys! Good luck!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
agreed it's going to take time for her to adjust to new home. any rescue I have ever had bought with them baggage from their old home. sometimes the baggage is good most of the time it's bad. Bebe has lived with for year + and he still doesn't want to be any where near me. give her some time to relax , adjust to a new home. have your older boys sit down on the floor outside of her cage and just let her see them, and they can talk to her but in soft voices. they can talk to each other too.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC does the same thing to husband, husband is a threat (he thinks).

Hubby has been giving treats and apparently when I'm not around, it's not as bad.

Tell the teenagers to take things slowly, sit by cage with back to bird and read and all things new folks will do with a bird .... Maybe it will change. Each bird is an individual though.