• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Beaks is biting off is feathers all of a sudden!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I thought I read somewhere that parrots who are not even one year old don't pick/pluck unless there's a medical issue. I could totally be wrong though. I would definitely get a check up though to be sure.
Just to confirm, this is wrong. I know of a caique who was separated from his clutchmates and went to a new home and plucked his chest bare. He was 4-5 months old. The new owner had also purchased a friend for him but she was a little younger and still with the breeder. Once she did get the other bird home and in the flock the original caique stopped plucking and grew all his feathers back. This was all in a bird who was less than a year old. So perhaps, it is unusual but definitely possible.

Of course you do want to rule out a medical issue first.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Hi All
We revisited the vet yesterday. She was very happy that Beaks is doing so well... no more barbering and his feathers are almost back in. His new feather condition is good and so is the condition of the ones he didn't barber. She did tell me that she does tend to see more feather destruction with his species in captivity than some others. She said they tend to be a little nervous. She was happy that the changes I made in his environment and with his enrichment helped so drastically and quickly for him.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Glad he is doing better, I guess I am getting into this post late, LOL!

Anyways, I agree with John, boredom is likely the cause.

Foraging has been shown to really help.

I always wish I had more time to prepare foraging items for my birds, I try to do simple things whenever I can.

Wrap things in paper, fold them up in a dixie cup. Even hanging up a cup so that it moves and sways when they eat from it requires more effort to get at and counts as foraging.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will do more reading on it, maybe it really is good for them. Is it a liquid? Maybe an addition to the water dish? Not sure of the cost effectiveness tho.

Because I worry if its not clean he'll consume less, I change Buddy's water a few times during the day. I shoot for 3 especially when its warm. There average seems to be 2 - 4. Some days when I'm not home, or he gives the back off mood its 2. Then there are other days when he is In a dunking or super good mood. I notice that's all I'm doing & its 4/5 times just cause.

Like I said yesterday, I never had heard about it before...

:bighug: Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Wrap things in paper, fold them up in a dixie cup. Even hanging up a cup so that it moves and sways when they eat from it requires more effort to get at and counts as foraging.
Hi Laurie!
I really like the Dixie cup idea. I assume this is a wax coated cup? Will it hurt them if they shred it?

:hug6: Rain

Rolanda

He loves the Bird Candy by TNT. The wood is too hard for him, he can't snap it, but after he unwraps the paper I use the wheels in making frankentoys.:D

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Rolanda! They look neat, One of the vendor's I spent quite a bit of time looking through, had some items where you can make toys with. I'll see if I can find it. I like the candy idea, I'm just not sure with Buddy tho, he shreds paper a bit, if I hold it "&" :lol:He is in a mood to do so!

His favorite thing seem to be this hangy thing that his last owner had for him. You can see it behind him (moved yesterday to in front) because he was so miserable.

Must a helped... This morn a bunch chewed/beaten on floor of cage. He appeared to be happier. I took all this plastic looking twine off. Compacted the pieces w/cotton which is why it may not be so pretty now. Buddy is so nervous about odd noises... Is it tissue/wax paper on it?

IMG_20170517_195818.jpg

:hug8: Rain

Rolanda

Thanks Rolanda! They look neat, One of the vendor's I spent quite a bit of time looking through, had some items where you can make toys with. I'll see if I can find it. I like the candy idea, I'm just not sure with Buddy tho, he shreds paper a bit, if I hold it "&" :lol:He is in a mood to do so!

His favorite thing seem to be this hangy thing that his last owner had for him. You can see it behind him (moved yesterday to in front) because he was so miserable.

Must a helped... This morn a bunch chewed/beaten on floor of cage. He appeared to be happier. I took all this plastic looking twine off. Compacted the pieces w/cotton which is why it may not be so pretty now. Buddy is so nervous about odd noises... Is it tissue/wax paper on it?

View attachment 250408

:hug8: Rain

There are little Dixie cups without any wax on them. I think they are little 'Bathroom' cups. There are also those little 'Nut' cups (white) that you can buy at Michaels or party stores.
upload_2017-5-22_6-52-51.png

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are little Dixie cups without any wax on them. I think they are little 'Bathroom' cups. There are also those little 'Nut' cups (white) that you can buy at Michaels or party stores.
View attachment 250424
I didn't know/think about the little condiment cups (where to get). Thank you! I totally forgot about the little plain paper cups that Dixie has. I don't have a hanging dispenser for them anymore, so the ones I have bought in recent years are as little less Eco friendly. I just had a vision of the ones that were used as Slurpie icie drink cups wayyyyy back in the day! :bash: *officially feeling age!!!* (You know you're getting old when you say/think this phrase!) :pinklol2:

The little ketchup cups made me think of those little Icie Cone ones. If not where you mentioned maybe Internet/kitchen supply store.

Thanks again Miss Rolanda! :gbh: Rain

Rolanda

I didn't know/think about the little condiment cups (where to get). Thank you! I totally forgot about the little plain paper cups that Dixie has. I don't have a hanging dispenser for them anymore, so the ones I have bought in recent years are as little less Eco friendly. I just had a vision of the ones that were used as Slurpie icie drink cups wayyyyy back in the day! :bash: *officially feeling age!!!* (You know you're getting old when you say/think this phrase!) :pinklol2:

The little ketchup cups made me think of those little Icie Cone ones. If not where you mentioned maybe Internet/kitchen supply store.

Thanks again Miss Rolanda! :gbh: Rain

The pic I copied was from Amazon.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:jillone: Thanks so much for the great ideas! I will be looking for the most cost effective thing here in NY. Sometimes it is Amazon, but then something longterm like Sams or BJs may do $$ better for longterm. What sort of warehouse clubs do you have in CA? I cannot remember anymore if there is Costco there... Years ago their $'s beat out everything we have here. May have changed tho :shopspree:

Squishy :hug4: Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya Miss Rolanda!

I found these as a thought on Sam's clubs site. Don't think I could string them but maybe as a foot toy? Thought...

They are for a little 1 cup ( a K Cup) sort of coffee machine. They appear to be paper or possibly a filter paper.

Hugs Rain