• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Beaks is biting off is feathers all of a sudden!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am a new bird owner, I am sorry I am not sure. Until I read your posts here I did not know what Barbering was as I'd never read/heard the term.

As I began writing this post I attempted to research for both of us "knowledge is power" is a saying I remember from childhood. Any who, I tripped on this & I do not believe it answers your question... It explained the term barbering very well! Maybe it will help you in other ways too.

Barbering birds? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

If it does not help or you've read this already, my apologizes!

:banghead:

Hoping it's not one of these moments like in my own post a few days ago! How is he doing?
:gbh:Rain

Rolanda

He's doing OK. Actually I don't see him barbering his feathers anymore and he's getting some new ones in and is not barbering those. I'm starting to wonder if he was doing it because he was going into a molt and was Itchy and started at his feathers because of it. Everything checked out fine at the vet. He had gotten to the point where his whole front was gray. Now you can see where his Adult coloring (orange feathers on his chest) is coming in

I also tried a few new things:
-Moved his cage (I had moved it away from the window because of winter (yes, I live in California, but worried mom didn't want him to get COLD)
-Added some new toys
-Started giving him some specific foraging item every day (if not twice per day)
-Every day we make a concerted effort to play with him specifically in a more physical way... we have new foot toys and we play a little tug of war... I chase him with my fingers... whatever he will tolerate. He's not a cuddly boy, doesn't like to be touched anywhere but his chest and then only if he's in the mood. but I think this gets him a little more tired. He's been taking off & flying more AND talking more. He actually put together his first string of words last night. "Beaksey, Beaksey, What Are You Doin'" :heart:
upload_2017-5-9_6-42-42.png @JLcribber @rocky'smom @aooratrix

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Good job. :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad he's doing better. I'm sure he loves and is thriving with the extra play time!:dance4:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:elefant::dance55:
Hi Rolanda! :howdy:
I'm so glad he's doing better. He did a good job barbering his chest, I can see what you were worried about.

Does anyone know if birds naturally do this because they are too warm? Thought... Like we may take a fur baby to have them trimmed... Long fur + hot temperature = over heated pet

Just curious.

Rolanda, His orange feathers at going to look beautiful when thy at all grown in. My thought is the changes could be a part of his halt of the barbering but overall for his well being

:tiel:

(physical but especially his mental). Ya'll sound like your on the path of having a happier more balanced feathered friend. After all isn't that our intentions when we joined?

Big :grouphug3: Rain

Rolanda

UPDATE-
Beaksey has stopped messing with his feathers and is appropriately preening like a champ! I wish I could get him to eat some RPO. THAT struggle continues. BUT, here is an updated photo. Some of his adult coloring is coming in well. :heart:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
He is looking good!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great work! Keep it up!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:elefant::dance55:
Hi Rolanda! :howdy:
I'm so glad he's doing better. He did a good job barbering his chest, I can see what you were worried about.

Does anyone know if birds naturally do this because they are too warm? Thought... Like we may take a fur baby to have them trimmed... Long fur + hot temperature = over heated pet

Just curious.

Rolanda, His orange feathers at going to look beautiful when thy at all grown in. My thought is the changes could be a part of his halt of the barbering but overall for his well being

:tiel:

(physical but especially his mental). Ya'll sound like your on the path of having a happier more balanced feathered friend. After all isn't that our intentions when we joined?

Big :grouphug3: Rain

Birds don't have fur my dear. Comparing apples to oranges.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, I know that Lol! What I was asking was could barbering be because the bird is overly warm... As an example people do this because "my dog is so hot" so I have his fur trimmed. I was wondering if birds would just do this for themselves! Because they are to warm? I know to the seasoned bird owners, this is probably a dumb question/statement.

I have grown up with dogs & cats. I have been thru all the different paces with as variety of fresh & also tropical & a bit with a dear friend & his salt water fish. I never even imagined the amount I've been trying to educate myself with my Buddy now. You almost need a degree to have them, & properly care for (honking from Bud). Brb!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi again!

:giggle:
OK, so my point was that I understand the comparison apples to oranges. No different from example: Fur :dog3:to :fish: Fish. But even with fish species :fish:Guppies an example to :fish1:Goldfish.

:fish:Guppies need to have warm temps in the water because they are as tropical fish. When the temps are to low it will kill them. They can survive for awhile is it is not an optimal temp. But not happily & they will never flourish, they exist.
:fish1:Goldfish can survive in drastically colder temps. They prefer a colder temp than guppies who basically NEED a heater. For a goldfish if the water is to cold they stop eating & go into hibernation but if the water is to warm, the dissolved oxygen levels can get to low & an onslaught of illness & or death happens.

Just like a Granny Smith Apple :wacky: is NOT a Red Delicious :xflove:Apple, & there is a difference between as Halo aka Mandarin Orange is completely different then a Standard Orange.

Just because I had not read or heard about it with Parrots like my Buddy, I did not want to assume it with Rolanda's bird or a different species of bird.

Sorry for my miscommunication, I hope all the text clarified... I'm still learning :lol:

Big hugs! Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
UPDATE-
Beaksey has stopped messing with his feathers and is appropriately preening like a champ! I wish I could get him to eat some RPO. THAT struggle continues. BUT, here is an updated photo. Some of his adult coloring is coming in well. :heart:
The Orange looks as tho it Will be quite vibrant when it finishes up! I can't wait to see more pic's. What is RPO? Thanked in advance. I feel like a fool now. Lol!

Hugs, Rain

Rolanda

The Orange looks as tho it Will be quite vibrant when it finishes up! I can't wait to see more pic's. What is RPO? Thanked in advance. I feel like a fool now. Lol!

Hugs, Rain

Red Palm Oil. It is raved about on this forum as really helping with feathers and overall. My little boy IS quite a Picky Puss though. I struggle getting him to try edibles. Though I am sure it's my fault.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Rolanda!
I assume they consume this. How to do it? Do you cook with it? Or add it to the water? I personally used to take flax seed oil in a gel cap, but knew there was also a liquid form... That is why I was asking those questions. I do not want to start a debate, but the 1st things I just read, make me a little nervous about this product. I am not sure about the link though. I know there are pro's & cons to everything too.

Like to know a little more about it. Maybe a for another day things for me. I have a little mating aggression factor which may make me modify his cage again.

Super big :hug9: Rain & Buddy :coolparrot:

Rolanda

I've just read good things so I was trying to give it a try. My fids are picky butts though, si I'm trying to figure out how to get it INTO them to see if it helps with their feathers.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I kept the link I looked @ up in my browser. I will paraphrase as much as I can. Hopefully this is something someone can comment to. Good for feathers but...

"However, vets often neglect to mention the product’s downside: LDL cholesterol raising, artery clogging, heart disease instigating saturated fats by the truckload."

(Heart disease in parrots has shown a high increase of recent years.) Vets often forget/don't mention the RPO bad things:
High LDL cholesterol
Clogged Arteries
"Heart disease instigating saturated fats by the truckload"
Many vets consider & sell as a quick fix product. They are blow the chance to teach about proper diet.

Benefits: Red palm oil IS loaded with beta carotenes (convert to vitamin A )
But so do "carrots, winter squashes, peppers, dark leafy greens, apricots, mangoes"
Bird = Vitamin A deficiency
"Doesn’t it make more sense to improve the diet than to use a supplement, especially one with such an unhealthy downside?"

-----
There also seems to be a link to RPO ='ing harm to the environment. I haven't read that yet.
------
If you/anyone else wants to read this you can send me a group note & I can send you the direct link to the article. I'm not sure how to do this tho so help back to do it would be appreciated.

:hug8:Squishes, Rain

Rolanda

I kept the link I looked @ up in my browser. I will paraphrase as much as I can. Hopefully this is something someone can comment to. Good for feathers but...

"However, vets often neglect to mention the product’s downside: LDL cholesterol raising, artery clogging, heart disease instigating saturated fats by the truckload."

(Heart disease in parrots has shown a high increase of recent years.) Vets often forget/don't mention the RPO bad things:
High LDL cholesterol
Clogged Arteries
"Heart disease instigating saturated fats by the truckload"
Many vets consider & sell as a quick fix product. They are blow the chance to teach about proper diet.

Benefits: Red palm oil IS loaded with beta carotenes (convert to vitamin A )
But so do "carrots, winter squashes, peppers, dark leafy greens, apricots, mangoes"
Bird = Vitamin A deficiency
"Doesn’t it make more sense to improve the diet than to use a supplement, especially one with such an unhealthy downside?"

-----
There also seems to be a link to RPO ='ing harm to the environment. I haven't read that yet.
------
If you/anyone else wants to read this you can send me a group note & I can send you the direct link to the article. I'm not sure how to do this tho so help back to do it would be appreciated.

:hug8:Squishes, Rain

You can also attach a link to your post:)

Rolanda

I am not saying that RPO is a fix at all for any bird. I am only trying to add a little bit to my particular birds' diet. It's natural and overall a small amount could help their feather condition. I have young birds and no health or test issues and have cleared it with our AV. Since, in my particular household, I had a barbering situation I wanted to give any new feathers an opportunity to have an improved start. This is only for my information and any others that may have interest in adding RPO to their bird's diet.
This is by no means telling anyone to use it because it is going to help everything that could ail your bird. Everyone is responsible for their own research and to decide what is best for their own birds health.

Last edited: