• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby Shadie has left me.

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am heartbroken and still do not know what to do with myself. Shadie had a very very hard life before he met me. I probably went and purchased him mere days before he would have passed about 14 years ago. There he was living in a dark basement room with a cage full of spent budgie breeders and a lovely looking Lutino female, as well as a beautiful lovebird. Well that day I found my little grey cockatiel in a weird antiquated pagoda style cage in a weird wooden platform wired to the sides with rusty wire and although I was there to purchase the lutino I fell in love at first sight and sprung the plain grey guy right there. I figured he would probably die but hopefully in a home with love and good food before his end. I started rehab with him right away his condition was dreadful and I won't recount it here but upon close inspection I thought he might only make it just a few hours. I asked if he had a name and they said oh," I think he did once but we have forgotten." We named him Shade as he bit like a demon and he was so dark Grey he was almost black. He was given a little mp3 with birdsong and nature sounds to calm him, I also read and sang to him for hours. He came through the worst, but it took about a year to his recovery was as good as he would get. He never flew but he had free run of the house all the time, and over the years he was the best gift I ever received from the universe. We bonded so perfectly that it was strange We went to bed at the same time. Shadie loved his first Christmas so darn much he had his own tablet to watch Christmas specials all year. He loved a Goddess necklace my daughter wore so much she gifted it him and every single day he would talk to his little rose quartz Goddess and kiss the chain she hung on, in other words I did my very best to make up for the horrible conditions I first found him in. He loved me so much when I had a heart attack and was hospitalized for ten days he would just lie in the bottom of his cage as if dying until I would skype or call. I had him die from old age a couple of nights ago at an age the vet figured was about 27. I know that's a ripe old age and I know he had many many more years than he would have but I am truly lost. I buried him under a blueberry bush as he was very fond of his booburries with his Goddess and his fave butterfly shirt of my daughters. I wear his silver chain he kissed up everyday and I have one perfect feather of his, so soft. I am lost and I don't know what to do with myself, but it is Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and I just wanted it on the record that I had been as Thankful for my Baby Shadie as for my own flesh and blood. Fly Free handsome Man Mommy Loves you yesterday and today and every tomorrow I am granted on this earth.

P.s. we had went and bought his flock all 14 budgies lovebird and Lutino and sprung them as well all have passed but my daughter's Cockatiel all are remembered fondly but there will never ever be another Shade.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry you lost him but he knew you loved him, he loved you right back, and he knew he was safe and was obviously happy with his lot in life you gave him:sadhug:. I lost Nerd bird after 31 years together and it was devastating for me but I ended up giving two other Maxi Pionuses a home when I was ready and Dobby is still here with me and happy though he hasn't been here that long yet.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss.:sorrow: It's touching how much you clearly loved Shade. :heart: Shade was well loved and for that I'm grateful too
:sadhug2:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry,,he had a good life with you. Fly free little man.

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I’m very sorry for your loss:sorrow: If i could give you a comforting hug i really would:sadhug:
It really warms my heart though that you did everything you could to make his life better, and in the end i’m sure he was happy.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss of Shade. He spent his last 14 years loved and loving. That is a wonderful way to go.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry for your loss:sadhug2: you gave him the wonderfull life he deserved! Reading this just made me cry for you, you really did the best things you could ever do for him and he surelt was one very happy birdie until the very end!
Fly free shade:sorrow:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. He had a wonderful life for many years because of you.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Allowed yourself to grieve, allowed yourself to cry. And visit that blueberry bush and tell him that you are lost without him.
Do that as long as you need it.
I still visit Eloy grave and I talk to him every day when I'm outside running, and it is soon 1 year since I lost him.
I don't care what other people think of this, I'm doing it because I have too.

And I'm so sorry for your loss. Be proud of those 14 years you gave him.
:hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
so very sorry for your loss

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
:sad7: I'm so sorry for our loss. :sorrow:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:sorrow::sorrow::sorrow:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your sweet little friend.:sorrow:It sounds like you gave him the best life any birdie could ever dream of. What a wonderful thing, and I hope in time you find comfort in your memories. Know that he knew how much you loved him, and that he loved you back just as strongly.
:sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry for your loss.