• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby passed

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This last Thursday, my green cheek conure, Remmy, passed. He had sustained a serious head injury a few months back resulting in neurological damage and, and while he was recovering, it seems he re-agitated the situation, and died from what appeared to be a seizure of some kind.

I am at a loss. I got eight years with him. Eight years to love him, to learn from him, to grow with him...I grew up with animals, since the time I was 3 I have been dealing with loss. I've gotten pretty good at it but this...It doesn't even feel real. I feel numb. My baby is gone. My ornery, cuddly, particular, energetic, beautiful, incredible, life-changing, sweet-as-honey, baby, is gone.

I've never been particularly religious but, I'm having trouble believing such a bright, fiery soul could just, blink out of existence. He taught me more about this world than any human could. He came into my life when I was in a really, really dark place. When I had no will to live, he gave me a reason to keep clinging to life. When I found the strength to live for myself again, he taught me the joy in that.

I'm at a loss. I feel empty and broken. I keep expecting to hear him talking, trying to get my attention. He was so special. He was very attached to me, and really didn't care for other people, yet he broke so many barriers. My brother had never had good relationships with birds. He's a big guy with a deep voice and presence, and most birds just did not want to be around him, but something about Rem made him work at it. When we were both living at home together, he would spend time every day trying to reach Remmy. Eventually, he would get so excited to see my brother, bobbing his head, making kissy noises... My best friend who was terrified of all birds saw my relationship with him and is not the loving, amazing person to an Indian ringneck.

I bled from him more times than I can count. When He turned one, there was about a year of being bit to hell every day. There were times back then where I would cry and just wonder how in the world I could get through to him. I never stopped trying though, and I know he knew that. He knew I never turned my back to him.

I'm sorry this is such a rant. I'm trying to make his death feel like a real thing. I'm having him cremated, and hopefully when I get his ashes back, that will help, but right now I'm struggling to process any of this.

My baby is gone.

And it hurts more than I can describe. I'm trying to trust that there is peace in death, and that I gave him everything I could. That he enjoyed his life.

Sleep peacefully baby. Eat all the fruit your heart desires. Pick out the safflower seeds and ignore your pellets. There will always be a piece of my heart reserved for you.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
So sorry for your loss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What a beautiful tribute you wrote, I’m crying after reading that, I can really feel how special your relationship was.
I am so very sorry for your loss and I hope you find some comfort in all your memories.
:sorrow:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I’m so sorry :(

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so very sorry.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
The relationship you had with him was truly special. We are here with you. You can get through this.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so sorry for your loss. I´m sure it hurts more than words can describe.

Sending you all my love and positive thoughts ❤

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm so sorry about your loss

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for the loss of your special friend.
:sadhug2:

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm so sorry for your loss, I cry with with you. Try to keep the memories close and pictures of course. It's never enough time, but at least we had some with their beautiful little souls. :sorrow:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So very sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I agree with @Shezbug. You wrote a beautiful tribute and truer words could not have been spoken better about life with a green cheek. I hope time will heal your heart from your loss of Remmy and when your healing begins I do wish you will bring another into your life.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry that you lost Remmy to illness before his time. Loss of a pet is worse than anything. They make up a huge part of our routine and give us purpose and unconditional love. I empathise with what you are going through.

Know that you aren't alone. You are not in the dark. We are all here for you and are more than happy to share your tears.

Sending a giant sincere and warm hug!

:sadhug:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am very sorry for your loss

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I’m so sorry for your loss of Remmy. I’ve been where you are now and I know how hard it is to bear. But I believe we will see our babies again, I believe they are only ever a heartbeat away. Godspeed on your way to the Rainbow Bridge little Remmy.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I am so sorry for your loss, sending prayers your way