• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby love bird is eating much lesser than normal

Clovescxl

Moving in
Help! My baby love bird of 5-6 weeks old is eating so much lesser than he usually do. Just days ago he's eating 3-6 mls 4-5 times daily. Out of a sudden he's only eating 1ml or less each time. But yet he is still as active as ever. Zooming around the floor near us when we put him down and climbing all over us. Flapping his wings trying to fly. We fed him weaning food, avicakes and millet. He usually eats a little then go back to playing. Is this normal??

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If he is weaning he will start to eat less in preparation for his first flight I believe.

Clovescxl

Moving in
5-6 wks. is about the time that lovebirds start to wean. Are you monitoring his weight?
ParrotFeather.com | Lovebird Weaning
Yes I'm monitoring his weight, he dropped 3 grams already. Thanks for the link it's quite reassuring that I am doing it right up till now. I was so worried he wasn't feeling well even though his behaviour shows otherwise.

Thanks for the reply guys. Anyway I would like to add one more question.

When should I place my baby in a new cage? A much bigger one meant for adult birds. Thanks.