• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My baby cockatiel of 50 days old has injured foot

Is it broken ankle or a sprain ?

• sprain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • broken toe

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • other

• infection

• Total voters

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
My baby cockatiel cocco fell down from bed when i picked it up , it started standing on right leg and holds its left leg up initially that whole day ,we dont have avian vet here in vizag , in india where i live , i want to know if my bird has broken d leg or its just minor injury ? its ankle joint it swollen and looks pale or white in color ,initially it was more swollen and the entire leg was red , redness decreased by swelling is still there ,it cannot hold anything with the injured foot though it can move fingers , now she uses that feet for support

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it hot? Possile sprain,,, Is it cold? Possible Break,,I see hair wrapped there also, get that off immediately! Just watch her. If she can move her toes then its possibly sprained, no toe movement or " pinch reflex" then its broken.. only you know her, wat h her, when in doubt, try and find a bird vet, ..tagging
@Tiel Feathers
@mythic55
@ @JLcribber
@cassiesdad

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Tthe foot definitely looks a little bit swollen. Is your baby putting any weight at all on it or walking? Can it move its toes around? Have you tried touching that foot to see how he or she reacts? Does it feel hot or cold to the touch?

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
I tried touching the yod
Is it hot? Possile sprain,,, Is it cold? Possible Break,,I see hair wrapped there also, get that off immediately! Just watch her. If she can move her toes then its possibly sprained, no toe movement or " pinch reflex" then its broken.. only you know her, wat h her, when in doubt, try and find a bird vet, ..tagging
@Tiel Feathers
@mythic55
@ @JLcribber
@cassiesdad
i Tried touching the toe , she has excruciating pain , she starts biting me ,she can move all her toes , she can close and open the claw , she holds on to my finger very lightly ,i am currently applying volini gel i mean diclofenac gel its been 2 days .. todays third day .. i removed that hair .

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
Tthe foot definitely looks a little bit swollen. Is your baby putting any weight at all on it or walking? Can it move its toes around? Have you tried touching that foot to see how he or she reacts? Does it feel hot or cold to the touch?
while i touch her foot , she jumps and bites me , she keeps the other leg on my finger to stop me from touching her leg , i felt no temp difference in both the legs , she takes support of both d legs while walking ,she can move all toes and fingers but she keeps those up usually .i am applying diclofenac gel to her leg , and giving her ibuprofen and paracetamol suspension 1 drop in food twice daily

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
How can i reduce the swelling in my bird's leg ? how many days does it take for a sprain like the one above to heal ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your 'tiel doing now? Have you contacted or taken her to a vet? Your vet can check the foot, diagnose and recommend a treatment plan including appropriate medications.

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
no avian vet near by ! my bird has not cured till now ! i doubt if its going to cure. i can see new injury below the swollen joint so now i m aplying neosporin ointment .

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can check here for vets who treat birds. Some of them are avian certified and some of them aren't but should have a lot of experience working with birds.

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
You can check here for vets who treat birds. Some of them are avian certified and some of them aren't but should have a lot of experience working with birds.
Not working out for me ! webserver problem it showed after reaching an indian doctor , moreover i am in such state of india where avian vet doesnt exist ! past time when a myna hit my window i took to vet they told me birds bones are not visible in xray we dont treat birds .. if we try doing anything it may die as its too sensitive just leave the bird where you found as it was wild bird .. they didnt care . that bird eventually died . after that experience of mine after a long time i thought to own a bird friend but .. again dont wanna see things repeating all over again .. my this tiel is so attached to me i cant lose it anyway ! it contact calls me all the time , it stays on my head or shoulder alll the time , it preens me kisses me !! i just love my bird !its just 52 days old but it can step up too ! its a sweet heart bird ! i researched all over internet regarding the possibilities and treatment .. n for my current situation i feel it will be good if i dont take it out of cage at all and apply medicine to the wound regularly .Dont know what will happen , may god help my sweet heart !

parna

Moving in
Real Name
parna
Only improvement that i see now is that its using the injured leg too slowly , and keeping the toe flat like the other normal feet , in soft surfaces its using both legs normally ..