• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My baby cockatiel isn't doing so well..

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
s and with me during the day is that wise to do
I don’t know They might kill him. Can you just do a brooder maybe make a makeshift tiny fish tank into a bed for him?
You’re doing fine! Just keep asking us questions if you need help

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can get a 5 gallon terrarium. Should come with a mesh lid. Put layers of paper towels on the bottom, put a towel under the tank and then a heating pad under 1/2 of the tank beneath the towel. Set it to low or medium. You can also use pine shavings on the bottom of the tank. It's good if you can get a hygrometer and a thermometer something similar to this to monitor temperature and humidity. Amazon.com : Zoo Med Economy Analog Dual Thermometer and Humidity Gauge, 6 x 4" : Tank Thermometer : Pet Supplies
In addition get a small stuffed toy that the baby can snuggle up to. Make sure there is nothing that will be a safety issue on that. I used a stuff banana dog toy. I think there might have been eyes on it and I removed them.

baby red-bellied parrots.jpg

mulder scully banana.jpg

The baby may be delayed in development based on what you have written and if the head is larger than it should be it's possible that he/she is malnourished.

Hope everything works out.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don’t know They might kill him.
I agree. If the chick has been separated. Keep him separated. He can live in the brooder, and if you want them to have contact you can do that during the day supervised.
My parent birds kept contact with their chicks after separation during the day when I would supervise them all together.... even now, the little ones are adult, they still get to be with their parents during the day :)

I used a stuff banana dog toy.
My Ade has a soft whale toy from a happy meal, I cut the tags off.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. If the chick has been separated. Keep him separated. He can live in the brooder, and if you want them to have contact you can do that during the day supervised.
My parent birds kept contact with their chicks after separation during the day when I would supervise them all together.... even now, the little ones are adult, they still get to be with their parents during the day :)

My Ade has a soft whale toy from a happy meal, I cut the tags off.

Cute...regarding the whale toy. I looked through a lot of dog toys and kids' stuffed toys and the banana was the simplest. Thought it would be easy for them to lie on/rest against. All of the clutches I raised had a banana. I have a photo somewhere of babies with their heads resting on the banana. Have to find that.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thought it would be easy for them to lie on/rest against.
Yes, an actual bear can topple over too, plus it´s awkward to snuggle to.
The whale is pretty flat like your banana, there´s a picture of Ade with it on the forum somwhere I think.

edit: I found the pics,
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index...59_com-google-android-apps-photos-jpg.297123/
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index...11_com-google-android-apps-photos-jpg.297124/
She still has it in her bed:
Pictures - Adélies house set up | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I have a photo somewhere of babies with their heads resting on the banana. Have to find that.
Please share once you find it, chicks never fail to warm my heart :)

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Zara that is just precious! :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Roxann R Straw Did you manage to get some sort of brooder set up? (Somewhere nice and warm for the chick to sleep)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara Very cute photos. The whale is a perfect companion.
I'll try to find the photo. I'm missing photos....could be print photos since I used a film camera with first and second clutches or could be on older computers since I used digital camera for later clutches although I do think I started using digital camera with second clutch.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Zara Very cute photos. The whale is a perfect companion.
I'll try to find the photo. I'm missing photos....could be print photos since I used a film camera with first and second clutches or could be on older computers since I used digital camera for later clutches although I do think I started using digital camera with second clutch.
Grrrr I had all my photos on a backup drive. Had it set NOT to back up. Well it set itself and backed up my current folders, overwriting the old ones. Photos from pre-2010 all gone.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Grrrr I had all my photos on a backup drive. Had it set NOT to back up. Well it set itself and backed up my current folders, overwriting the old ones. Photos from pre-2010 all gone.
Oh no...that's not good. I checked one backup drive and don't find any baby photos except for Spee's. I have another backup drive that I haven't used for many years but I've misplaced the power cord and not sure if I can use a generic power cord with that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little baby makes it. He’s awfully cute, I can see why you’re so smitten!:xflove: