• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My baby cockatiel isn't doing so well..

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
Hello so please no negativity as I don't think I could handle it.
So I am an animal lover, i showed dogs and horses worked in grooming shops and when i was younger worked at our local vets..I have quite the variety of animals. IVE ALWAYS wanted a African grey for as long as I can remember so i called a sanctuary last December to see maybe if they had any that needed a home,sadly they did not,but in February i recieved 4 cockateils 2 males 2 females they were all in one cage and came from a rescue situation so I seperated them and well now here I am, my lil guy is 13 days old and looks like he's a week, he also has a mixed up leg and i've been wondering if that could have slowed down his growth process, i checked him everyday and cried a few times due to him not looking well and very pale.
So I've read read and read some more i removed him yesterday as he was cold and kinda listless.
He had been getting cockateil formula since yesterday morning and seems to be doing all better but his eyes still are closed he has no new feathers coming in. Although he/ she does hear my voice and turns its head and listens it's currently in a box with heating pad on outside of box,I'm so very worried that I may lose this unexpected lil guy this stole my heart. Please any any ideas or suggestions are greatly needed and appreciated

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
First, Welcome Aboard!. I'm so glad you're here!

I'd get to your vet asap! Better to be safe than sorry. He may have something going on that only an Avian expert can help with.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Keep him warm. Babies under 3 weeks old ~ 92 degrees.
Sounds like you're feeding him ok.
If the leg is broken, he could be in a lot of pain which could explain the listlessness.
Definitely see a vet.

Later, after your emergency is over, we can tell you ways to keep from breeding, or keep the eggs from hatching. Since they came from a rescue, I know you don't want to do that.

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
I was going to take him Tuesday as i get paid Monday, I don't know if the pic I put of it came thru I'm kinda computer dumb so please bare with me, but if it did you can see his leg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I can't see it. I had a baby that seemed to stall out on growing (I was already handfeeding) and when I got her to the vet her leg was broken in 3 places! That's what made me think of it.

Here is how to post a picture.

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
No I don't want any babies as for this reason I have missed 2 days of work already due to this lil guy and will finally lose 30 more if I have to,his leg doesn't look broken but it bends the opposite way as the right side and seems to be fixed his lil foot won't open his toes and it will suck straight up in the air. So i've been keeping it tight up against his body with a towel kinda like a papoose boards for babies

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
Finchly... thank you so much, I told my fiance the 2nd day after he was born his leg looked odd, I'm not even sure if he's 13 days he could be a day older I just heard him on Monday the 6th. I will post pics from 2 days ago and then some today when I feed again here soon I will take updated pic

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So maybe it was twisted strangely in the egg. :( Poor baby. But - he can adapt just fine. Many others have.

EDIT: Now I can see it. Strange! But what a cutie!

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
He/ she is so stinking cute! I will be beside myself if it doesn't make it..

Of and on my previous post it should have said "will GLADLY lose 30 more if need be.. not finally

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Roxann,

As @finchly said, keep the chick warm (it´s so important), and get him to a vet as soon as you can.

Have you got a brooder set up for him? Line the bottom with soft wood shavings to keep him warm. You can even offer a clean sock rolled into a ball for him to snuggle onto.

If the parents were feeding him and keeping him warm, I´m not sure why you removed him? (Maybe I miss read something?)

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
I have no idea what I'm doing at all so please understand that is why I'm here with all you wonderful bird people. Ok that being said what is a brooder..I never wanted my George or Martha to have had babies and Don't want to have to go thru this again it's so hard for me not to bust out in tears when he doesn't look well goes with any of my animals even my pac man frog. I just Thank the lord there was only 1.

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
He seems to be stronger today which is good but he tends to literally sit on his bottom with his legs out in front of him.
So a question and is probably stupid to you all, but can birds be mentally or physically challenged. Could his eyes not be opening due to blindness maybe? And his head stuns too be larger than pics I've seen of other babies cockateils

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok that being said what is a brooder..
The chicks bed. Usually a box with something to keep it warm.
How To make a home made brooder | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Have you been handfeeding the baby? Are you managing that ok? You know that at some poiint every day you must allow the crop to empty completely.

Could his eyes not be opening due to blindness maybe?
he´s still pretty young.
My lovebird chick opened her eyes soooo much later than her siblings and she grew oh so slowly, I don´t know why, she was just as slow grower.

Roxann R Straw

Moving in
Real Name
Roxann
Also I removed him due to mom and dad not caring for him as well as they should have, he was almost white and cold and parents didn't want to do anything with him that is why I took him out yesterday. I want to put him back at nights and with me during the day is that wise to do

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also I removed him due to mom and dad not caring for him as well as they should have,
That could have been caused by the bad foot. If the parents sense something is wrong with the chick they can sometimes abandon it.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't have any knowledge on caring for babies but I just want to say good on you for caring for this little one :hug8:I am glad that you are not planning on breeding them. @Zara has provided some great info, she knows her stuff :) and @finchly might have something to chime in, she's bred birds before. I am glad you are here :) Please keep us updated!