• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My 9 Weeks Old Blue and Gold Macaw Refuse to Eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Good information but it's IMPORTANT to state your temperatures with Fahrenheit or Celsius when posting on an international board (I'm not sure which unit of measure Thailand uses) - especially to beginners who may not think twice about trying to heat formula to boiling temp!!

105 degrees Fahrenheit = 41 degrees Celsius
DUH....thanks! I always forget about that!

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
i use Farenheit for cooking.
I got this bird for 4 weeks. hr just act like this 2 days ago.
i gave him banana, he ate just some really some. he usually avoids lunch time.
i think he is very hungry in morning and evening that he eat.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Some birds enjoy eating their food better at certain times. I would just keep monitoring his weight.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
i use Farenheit for cooking.
I got this bird for 4 weeks. hr just act like this 2 days ago.
i gave him banana, he ate just some really some. he usually avoids lunch time.
i think he is very hungry in morning and evening that he eat.
Thanks Chris, just trying to be careful! :) Has he settled down to sleep for the night now? It will be good to know how much he weighs and eats tomorrow morning.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Just checked the reference "The Large Macaws", your bird is on target as far as weight. He should be getting 60-100cc of formula 2-3 times a day, about 200cc of formula for a complete 24 hour period whether 2 feeding or 3. Green formed poop is great but I have to agree that he may be eating something other than formula, the white you see means he is digesting the food.

I would find some Bragg brand apple cider vinegar and add a couple of drops to his formula as a precaution as well as it being good for the bird. Should you go back to the vet have him do a fecal and gram stain and a wet mount of crop contents, he will be able to see if there is a yeast or bacterial problem.

Keep a weight chart of your birds weight and how much you are feeding.

Picture of the bird poop might help.

gary

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
The poop looks pretty normal to me.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
poop looks great! But yeah he must eating more food than formula. I would start to use some mashes! You can soak some pellets in warm water, you could make some wild rice or sweet potato mash with some veggies and fruit thrown in. But if he is showing a strong preference for things like banana, than you need to be making some warm mashes. The banana alone is not enough nutrients. Nor does it have enough protein for a baby macaw. Soaked pellets and mashes if done correctly will give the nutrients and fat needed to maintain weight and the protein (from beans) to grow healthy tissue.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Kimba, don't know if he has access to pellets in Bangkok Thailand...
What type of rice/ veggies/ fruits/Leafy greens do you have there....Do your food stores also carry oatmeal?:hug8:

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
What kind of banana i should use....?
here there are my types of banana. Or i can give him all type to him.

??? can i see you oatmeal.. i am not sure which i think is correct one.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Poop looks good! 9 weeks is a extremely early age for a macaw to wean! I would keep offering formula while he is trying other foods. Right now the formula is a more balanced diet than for him to only eat bananas etc. You can always roll the bananas in ground mac nuts for protein and fats. Are you sure your bird is only 9 weeks old?

gary

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
banana, papaya , mango, water melon, grape, orange, rice(what kind ,please?), etc.

i have to pellet all mashed fruit. and feeding with my fingers. am i right?
9 weeks going to 10 in 2 days :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Chris. Sounds like you are doing a very good job. The advice you have been given about the food temperature is very important. I have an ill 31 year old macaw that I have to hand feed and he will eat twice as much if I make sure the formula is nice and warm. Also, try to keep that baby nice and warm. 85 farenheit is a good temperature for a baby or sick bird.

Making sure that all of your feeding equipment is clean and disinfected is critical. A baby doesn't have a very strong immune system and can't fight bacteria very well.

What is your baby's name? He's a cutie.
ML

Status
Not open for further replies.