• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 2 birds are not getting along anymore

Lisaloo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa
Hi Everyone ! I have a question. We have 2 cockatiels I was told they were both male when we got them at a pet store. My yellow one is P-bird and my gray one is now Lady Gray (used to be Mr Gray) Well, Lady Gray has laid 2 eggs I have them in a nest and she does a great job of keeping them safe warm. However, she will not let P-bird anywhere around and is now starting to bite at him. Should I separate them ? He has to stay up on the high perch away from food and water to keep from getting chased off or being bit. Please help

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
get them separate cages

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also would seperate them.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would put them in separate cages as soo as possible

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome!

Lisaloo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you for your answers, we now have 3 eggs and they seem to be getting along again. Now if I can just get them to be friendly with me. They were abused by their original owner and don't like to touched. Any idea's on how to make them friendly after being treated badly ? I had a teel years ago and he was the most lovable little guy, I just want these two to be the same way.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Honestly, I still think you should separate them, especially if they are NOT a bonded pair. You could still keep the cages close together so they can interact with one another vocally if you are away during the day but also have their own space.
Keeping them in separate spaces will also make it MUCH easier for developing a bond. You could let them out one at a time, in the beginning, and give each bird some one-on-one attention. This will also make trust-bonded exercises associated with target and trick training much easier.
I suggest you check out Barbara Heidenreich for training and taming. She's the best in the field and focuses entirely on positive reinforcement, which is essential in forming a strong, trusting bond. The link for her website is here: Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books
Good luck!