• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 1 year old Sun Conure is doing some weird stretches...

Ian Haas

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ian Haas
I have a 1 year old Sun Conure named Charlie who routinely the does this weird stretch, and recently he’s started to open his beak as wide as he can while doing it. It may be normal behavior, but I’m not sure since he’s my first bird. I just want to make sure everything is okay. I’m attaching a video so please watch and tell me if anything’s wrong! Thank you so much!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I think he's just adjusting his crop. If he is, then it is nothing to worry about.:)

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Sometimes when they look like they are gagging and stretching their throat, it indicates a need for fluid intake. I usually offer my CAG water when she does that. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If there is continued stretching/yawning with ear scratching, vet check for sinus or other infection. I had a cheekie that used to get them all the time and if she ever does that, I know we have to go get a checkup.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Yes, very possible that your baby might be catching a cold. (Suns are prone to congestive or sinus infections.)
My Sun will also do that occasionally plus 'pick' his nose.