• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

:( Mutilating of the feet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no, how frustrating :(

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Before I flipped him over to coat his feet, I held him up to my chest, and he started beaking at the berry stains. Go figure.

See? I'm good boy.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm wearing a white shirt with a polar bear's face on it, and now it looks like the polar bear's just eaten another animal. :meh:
When Rupert is fine again and you get some distance to all of this I'm sure that you will laugh at that shirt when you see it and get reminded that never again wear a white shirt when feeding blueberry juice. :D

I hope tomorrow gets better! :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
When Rupert is fine again and you get some distance to all of this I'm sure that you will laugh at that shirt when you see it and get reminded that never again wear a white shirt when feeding blueberry juice.

I hope tomorrow gets better! :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:
Lol, that's what happens with all my nice shirts. They get a story to go with the stain. I can say it's realism... Bears aren't exactly tidy when they eat.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I grabbed the diphen. first by accident... He mostly took that. By the second, more critical dose, he would work it with his tongue and pushed it out of his mouth and on to his lower beak. While he was still in my grasp, I went and grabbed a corn kernel and fed him that, hoping to scoop the medicine with it.

I think I will squish out the kernel insides and put the meds in there tonight. I'm heading to the grocery store tomorrow. Perhaps I can hide it within a whole blueberry or something small and tasty. I thought he would be easy to fool!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
So apparently Rupert had a staph infection on the skin sample they took from his feet. :depressed:

Everything else we tested came back normal. Sherbie's tests were all normal as well.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So apparently Rupert had a staph infection on the skin sample they took from his feet. :depressed:

Everything else we tested came back normal. Sherbie's tests were all normal as well.
But at least you have a culprit. :sadhug2: I hope he feels better quickly!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh no!! Poor Rupert :( It's good to have an answer though. I hope it's clears up relatively easily and he feels better soon

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
But at least you have a culprit. :sadhug2: I hope he feels better quickly!
Oh no!! Poor Rupert :( It's good to have an answer though. I hope it's clears up relatively easily and he feels better soon
Oh, totally agreed. I stopped the medications several days after he stopped messing with his feet. His feet look healthy. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
This is what I was talking about YOU proving.

My vet thinks it is safe and so do many other people. But there will always be people who say something is perfectly fine while others say no its not. So if you think it's not good and I think it is, then that's that. If others think it's good or bad then that's their choice too.

Importance of Cayenne Pepper | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I must quote you now. And if you still think it's OK to use it when you know it can burn their skin I feel sorry for your birds.
And you are using AA and a thread as your source that it's OK to use. And in that thread several say NO for using in wounds.
My vet has made me promise to never give or put cayenne pepper on my bird. It does burn, actually burn, the skin and their insides.
So now their is at least 3 good avian vet that say No No to cayenne pepper.

Last edited:

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I must quote you know. And if you still think it's OK to use it when you know it can burn their skin I feel sorry for your birds.
And you are using AA and a thread as your source that it's OK to use. And in that thread several say NO for using in wounds.

So now their is at least 3 good avian vet that say No No to cayenne pepper.

I didn't think it burned their feet because there are many who say it is good to use. Like I said before some people will say yes and others no- it will always happen. So who really is right, it's hard to tell sometimes. I appreciate your opinion and concern but that doesn't give you an excuse to be so blunt in your first post to me, it felt like you were telling me off. I am also insulated that you would think I would use something that would hurt my birds. If you truly believe and many others do that it brings more harm then good then I am willing to believe that too and will not use cayenne pepper again, because I love my birds. Your persistence also makes me believe you. I hope this ends now and that you try not to be so blunt in the future because it comes off as rude.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I hope this ends now and that you try not to be so blunt in the future because it comes off as rude.
I have no idea of what blunt is, and why do you think that I'm rude when I only have concerns for your birds (and all other members that read here and don't know what is right or what is wrong) welfare. You should thank me for not giving up trying to convincing you when you posted this.
but have you ever thought that maybe I had confidence that it was correct?
You did post this advice:
I don't know if it's been suggested yet but I used Cayenne pepper on BBB when his toe got bitten. It's supposed to help with the pain and stop infection.
And I reply:
How do you know that?
And have you ever think that the opposite can be right to?

I will say that never post advice that you don't know is correct. My vet will not recommend cayenne pepper.
Was this rude? For me that was a warning post, that to never post advice that you don't know for sure is correct.
And then you post this:
But instead of just saying the opposite may be true, you could prove it.
So if you think it's not good and I think it is, then that's that.
Perhaps read your own post better before attacking me for being things.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Yes thank you. But this is what blunt means- If you are blunt, you say exactly what you think without trying to be polite. You could have said "actually I believe that it can bring more harm then good. My vet recommends not using it, and so do many others." Then you could have posted something helpful, like a topic on the cons of cayenne pepper.

Me saying your too blunt isn't attacking you. I appreciate your concerned for my birds but I don't appreciate the way you did it.

And when i said to prove it (because there is so much info out there, it's hard to know what's right without good proof) to me you didn't prove it and in that situation I thought it was better left at a lets agree to disagree.

Thank you again for your persistence. I am on your side now.