• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

:( Mutilating of the feet

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
The last time Rupert chewed up his feet (last year), he had landed on Sherbie's cage and got a bite. Sherbie's bite didn't even leave a mark. The next day, Rupert chewed up his feet until they were raw and bloodied. We treated with pain medication, antibiotics, and SSD cream for his feet.

This morning, I woke to find Rupert had chewed his feet again. :( This time I don't know why. Nothing in his sleep cage suggests that he got caught or could get caught. Sadly I do not have pain medication or antibiotics. I just have the SSD cream from the last occurrence. Ugh. Why, Rupert?

The white goo on his talons is from the cream. He balled up his feet and made it difficult for me to smear it.

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
Poor baby. I hope someone can help you with this soon. I have never heard of this before, only feather mutilation. :/

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Can you get metacam and baytril from the vet for him? That looks so painful, poor baby:(

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Can you get metacam and baytril from the vet for him? That looks so painful, poor baby:(
I won't be able to afford an emergency vet run, but I will call and see if I can get in Monday. They are due for their annuals.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any possible allergen or something? Poor guy :(

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ok, got an appointment. They absolutely couldn't get us in till Thursday.

The tech told me her Amazon is doing something very similar and it's because his feet are dry! She told me since Rupert's got them so raw to keep him on SSD cream, to help prevent infection and after he heals to use aloe on his feet to see if moisturizing will help. I'll have them check to be sure there isn't anything else going on with the feet just in case when we go in.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Any possible allergen or something? Poor guy :(
I'm hoping it's something simple like dry skin, although he bathes very frequently so I'm not sure.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if you can get some Avi-vera spray or Vetericyn wound and skin care. Those might be beneficial until you see the vet. Also you may want to ask your vet if they can contact you if there is a cancellation so you can get in sooner. Hope Rupert will be OK.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
See if you can get some Avi-vera spray or Vetericyn wound and skin care. Those might be beneficial until you see the vet. Also you may want to ask your vet if they can contact you if there is a cancellation so you can get in sooner. Hope Rupert will be OK.
Good ideas. I thought about buying the Vetericyn to keep in my med kit. Do you happen to remember which one was safe for parrots?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I'm hoping it's something simple like dry skin, although he bathes very frequently so I'm not sure.

Oh that makes sense too! I wonder if maybe some aloe gel or coconut oil would help?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so so sorry :( My one thought is maybe talk about Gabapentin with your vet. Zane was proscribed that once. Sadly it didn't for Zane but it might for Rupert. Gabapentin works for various things including nerve pain. My thought is maybe Rupert has some nerve damage that happened from him being bitten or when mutilating the first time. And perhaps it flared up? I dunno... It's just a thought. There is a downside that these types of meds can be hard his liver or kidneys. I'm afraid a lot times with self mutilators it's picking the lesser evil. :(
And again I am so so sorry. I hate to see anyone go through this
:sadhug2:

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

Oh that makes sense too! I wonder if maybe some aloe gel or coconut oil would help?
Coconut oil might taste good.

Might want to get the kind that’s flavorless if you go that route.
Once it's healed I definitely will do a moisturizing regimen.

I've got pure coconut oil, but it's got a faint sweet scent. I use it when making bird bread.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! I'll order it.
You can spray it on a cotton ball and apply it that way rather than just spraying it directly on his feet just in case he squiggles and wiggles too much.
You may want to call and check with your vet before using it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm so so sorry :( My one thought is maybe talk about Gabapentin with your vet. Zane was proscribed that once. Sadly it didn't for Zane but it might for Rupert. Gabapentin works for various things including nerve pain. My thought is maybe Rupert has some nerve damage that happened from him being bitten or when mutilating the first time. And perhaps it flared up? I dunno... It's just a thought. There is a downside that these types of meds can be hard his liver or kidney. I'm afraid a lot times with self mutilators it's picking the lesser evil. :(
And again I am so so sorry. I hate to see anyone go through this
:sadhug2:
The first occurrence was nearly a year ago now, and I don't see him favoring his feet at all, so I'm thinking it's caused by some sort of irritation, like dry skin. If it's deep (nerves) I will definitely ask about it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
You can spray it on a cotton ball and apply it that way rather than just spraying it directly on his feet just in case he squiggles and wiggles too much.
You may want to call and check with your vet before using it.
I will. Would you be able to take a picture of the active and inactive ingredients in case I don't get mine before the trip to the vet? He's definitely a little squirmy when it comes to his feet right now, so I'll do the cotton swab like I do with his antibiotic cream.

**Edit** Oops, I didn't realize the ingredients were available on Amazon's listing. Nevermind! :p

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh no poor Rupert!:( I hope he feels better soon and you figure out why he did it!:hug8: