• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mutation and gender question

Bella.cook5

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bella
Hi there! I dont know much about mutations and recently got a new love bird, I was told because of the mutation he was a Male.
I'll attach the add that tells the parents mutation along with photos of them.
Dad is circled blue, mom circled in red, and my new family member circled in yellow, he was the only one out of the 3 babies that had no yellow markings. Are you able to tell if he is Male or female from this?

Attachments

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Lovebirds are not sexually dimorphic, to my knowledge, and the only way to know for sure is a blood test.

Congrats on your new addition!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
And welcome to the Avenue!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Bella! :fairy2:

Lovebirds are not sexually dimorphic, to my knowledge, and the only way to know for sure is a blood test.
Some mutations are sex linked, and so by knowing the parents, you would be able to sex the baby depending on which mutation they show.
Maybe @expressmailtome or @Anfsurfer could help.

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
Welcome to the Avenue Bella! :fairy2:

Some mutations are sex linked, and so by knowing the parents, you would be able to sex the baby depending on which mutation they show.
Maybe @expressmailtome or @Anfsurfer could help.
Thank you! ❤ hoping someone could help me out, I already have a normal peachface who is a male so I'm hoping this one truly is also male so we dont accidentally end up with babies:facepalm:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, I already have a normal peachface who is a male so I'm hoping this one truly is also male so we dont accidentally end up with babies:facepalm:

It is impossible to ¨accidentally end up with babies¨. If you do end up with a male and a female, and they bond and eventually live together, then just keep a look-out for eggs and swap them for a fake egg.

Remember to house the birds separately until they are fully bonded (bearing in mind that they may not bond - but I hope they do ;)).

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
It is impossible to ¨accidentally end up with babies¨. If you do end up with a male and a female, and they bond and eventually live together, then just keep a look-out for eggs and swap them for a fake egg.

Remember to house the birds separately until they are fully bonded (bearing in mind that they may not bond - but I hope they do ;)).
Oh awesome! But here's to hoping he is a Male and I wont have to worry about that in the future Haha.
And yes they're in separate cages, across the room from eachother but can still see eachother and they met on a new stand so my other lovebird wasnt territorial, so far short interactions are good theyve been singing and preening eachother:hug8:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow, that´s great! Things look very promising :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The one circled in blue is an opaline peach faced lovebird. If that is the father, then all female offspring will be opaline as well. Since the mother, circled in red, is not opaline, no male offspring can be opaline. Do you have a closer picture of the baby's forehead?

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
The one circled in blue is an opaline peach faced lovebird. If that is the father, then all female offspring will be opaline as well. Since the mother, circled in red, is not opaline, no male offspring can be opaline. Do you have a closer picture of the baby's forehead?
Here's some closer photos of my baby

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks as if your baby is a female due to the way that the crown is coming in.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I don't know anything about lovebirds but your baby is adorable!