• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multiple GCCs/Conures

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
Hi all, I've been tossing around the idea of adding to the flock for awhile now (and it won't be for awhile yet)... and am looking for some things to think about/opinions/thoughts...

I currently have two green cheek conures, both will be six soon. One male, one female. They're a pair. I don't see myself looking outside of other conures, mine have proven in the past that they don't like other species of birds, and I really enjoy conures over all. Their clownish natures, feisty opinions, energetic antics...

My current set up is I have a double flight cage for my two--occasionally they're separated with the divider in--sometimes housed together. They get along, but do have their squabbles, but for the most part are inseparable. Their cage is housed in a larger free flight room, which they have access to all day long. Outside of that room is my office room/could put the cage of the other bird or theirs depending on who gets access to the free-flight room that day. Then I also have an outdoor aviary, but being in Michigan we're nearing the end of usable days for that this year.

I understand that there are no guarantees they'll accept another bird or pair, which is why I have the back up of rotating who gets the flight room.

What I am curious about...is how many have had success with multiple conures/introducing new ones? I know @webchirp has multiples. Do younger ones introduce easier? I've thought about rescuing, but I know there probably aren't many young ones in rescue. Males? Females? Would another pair be smarter than a single introduction -taps chin- (I always heard with budgies even numbers were better than odd, but I don't seem to find much information outside of budgies on multiples)... In the past mine have met other gccs and a blue crown and been cool with it (though that was now about two years ago, so maturity could have really changed that). I love sun conures, though I have a feeling I'll still with pyrrhura for same beak-size just in caseeee.

Obviously I have plans for if they don't accept a future bird, as it'll be for me more than for them lol, but I definitely prefer to plan ahead and try and give everything the best chance at success.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
In my flock an established pair would likely not accept another bird...although they would be more likely to accept a young one. That doesn't guarantee hormones down the road sending things into a tail spin. But I know @tattoosiva has integrated others when they have been a flock. I wonder sometimes though if he has more success since they take them out and about etc...mine have established spots and routines. So far the boys in the flock do not accept Maks. The girls are a little more lenient with him and his antics...ie running away when he's being big and bad. Although someday that will change and he'll likely get thumped. But if you have room and you know you can provide time for the other guy or gal, you'll probably be okay. Sometimes it can take years. I have had Zia since 2011 and she hates all others. Just this year, Maui won her over. Zia would yell and peck at her and Maui would just lower her head and take it...even if I moved Maui away, she would keep going back. Zia is still grumpy with her if I interact with them but they now share a cage and cuddle most of the time. Kari, Amada and Julip share a cage and Kari never liked other birds except Happy for a bit but then didn't like him later. That trio is a bit of a shock for me but just shows they change their minds.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my flock an established pair would likely not accept another bird...although they would be more likely to accept a young one. That doesn't guarantee hormones down the road sending things into a tail spin. But I know @tattoosiva has integrated others when they have been a flock. I wonder sometimes though if he has more success since they take them out and about etc...mine have established spots and routines. So far the boys in the flock do not accept Maks. The girls are a little more lenient with him and his antics...ie running away when he's being big and bad. Although someday that will change and he'll likely get thumped. But if you have room and you know you can provide time for the other guy or gal, you'll probably be okay. Sometimes it can take years. I have had Zia since 2011 and she hates all others. Just this year, Maui won her over. Zia would yell and peck at her and Maui would just lower her head and take it...even if I moved Maui away, she would keep going back. Zia is still grumpy with her if I interact with them but they now share a cage and cuddle most of the time. Kari, Amada and Julip share a cage and Kari never liked other birds except Happy for a bit but then didn't like him later. That trio is a bit of a shock for me but just shows they change their minds.
I think it helps all of mine are the same sex but it was a long process getting everyone on the same page. It also helps that they are with my partner 24/7 to break up any squabbles. Without his help, I can barely handle one.

Be prepared for the extra time and cost if they don't get along and paradise doesn't last forever. BH and Bubbles were attached at the hip for years and BAM! one day out the blue they were trying ( literally) to kill each other. New cage, separator put back into double POB and double toy and perch costs add up.

Thankfully everyone gets along for the most part but like people, personalitys, likes and dislikes change with age and the wind.