• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multiple G2s??

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
We've had our G2, Rio, for about 7 months now. We rescued him from a situation of neglect, if not abuse. His cage was placed in a breezeway between the house and garage, and the only interaction from his family was when someone walked through the breezeway, as all of the family except the father was afraid of him. The father owned his own business, and so wasn't home much to give attention to Rio. His cage was so dirty that seeds had sprouted in the bottom tray, and he had only a couple old toys to play with. Luckily, he never started plucking. This family was his 2nd family. We have no info on the first owners.
Rio, according to our vet, is about 2 years old, or a bit younger.
He's ornery and destructive, like all of his breed, and loves spending time with us, on us, or around us, and displays his own style of affection (I believe it's affection) by rubbing his beak across our skin and clothing, but seldom does he want to be scratched or petted. Sometimes, he'll allow it, but never seems to enjoy it the way my wife's BGM does. I've watched a plethora of videos, read most of the literature I can fine online, read quite a bit in the forums, and talked to other G2 parents in our bird club, and our social circles, and it seems that most of the other G2s out there are much more affectionate.
We believe that he just never learned to receive or give affection, and keep hoping that he'll learn with us.
As I type this, he's perched on the back of by neck happily ruffling my hair, but when I reach up to scratch his head, he moves away. If Sherri tries to scratch him, he threatens to bite.
We've noticed that some parents have 2, or even more, G2s, that live and play together.
Which brings me to my question: would Rio possibly enjoy the company of another G2?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's a hard question to answer...it's a lot like two people who meet...you just don't know what to expect...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can't choose someone else's friends (or mates). It's a roll of the dice no matter how its played. A great deal depends on how (handfed &) human imprinted either bird is and whether they recognize each other as being like themselves. Cockatoos are smart enough to over come this with the exposure.

Having said that. Birds always benefit from others of their own kind. If given the time and proper space so that all interaction between them is with calm energy and always in a non aggressive manner, they do learn to at least co-habitate.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Thanks, Bob & John.
The idea of a friend for Rio is still up in the air.
On the one hand, having a playmate for him - assuming that they got along - would hopefully make him feel happy (although, I believe he's a happy bird overall), and give him a feeling of flock security.
On the other hand, do we really want another destructive gremlin in the house? I can only imagine the mischief that 2 of them could get into together.
We have twin granddaughters, and I remember when they were going through their "terrible two's." While we were chasing one down, or getting her out of mischief, the other was getting into mischief when our backs were turned.
On the third hand (on my home planet of Halcyon B, we have 3 hands; don't judge), it seems that every rescue that we look in to has at least 1 G2 that needs a home.
It's a decision that will require a bit more thought.
Thanks for your input.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would definitely wait longer before bringing in a second if that's what you decide to do. We went through a really long honeymoon period with our goffin, Elvis. For almost 9 months actually. Then the real Elvis came out. LOL. He went from being this docile bird who rarely left the top of his cage to being a Tasmanian Devil. (I say that with affection.) He is a whirlwind of nonstop activity. He also switched his affection from my fiancé to me during that time. So, I would suggest letting him settle in a bit more and feel a little more secure in his new environment.

Also, as was said, there's no guarantee any 2 birds will get along. Perhaps a rescue near you would let you foster one? That way you can see how the 2 birds will get along.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
..as @sunnysmom said, there's always a honeymoon period. ( @JLcribber always says that, too ;))

Sunnymom's Elvis is a real handful, as we babysat for him last year. I like a bird with spunk, and Elvis is full of that. :yes3:

In the future, you may find that Rio would do well with a friend...;)

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Thanks, Michelle & Bob.
I wish we had a rescue near us. We're near Omaha, NE, and the closest rescue is about 5 hours away. In fact, there is a rescue about 5-7 hours from us in any direction, but nothing close. A couple of them are willing to do a virtual home inspection, if we ever choose to adopt another family member. The rescue we chose above the rest isn't willing to do a virtual tour. We offered to pay for transportation and lodging, if they could send someone to us for the inspection, but to no avail. And, since we can hardly take our home to them, it appears that we won't be adopting through them.
Perhaps that's a good thing. 2 of our dogs are here because we decided to stop by the humane society "just to look." It's difficult for either of us to see an animal (or child, or vulnerable adult, for that matter) in need, and not want to help. If there was a rescue nearby, I'm afraid that our house would be full of birds.
We're in no hurry to adopt another G2. Unless it would improve Rio's quality of life, anyway. As it is, he seems pretty secure with his home, and has several play areas throughout the house that he freely moves among, unless he's attached to my shirt. He still bears watching, as it takes only a few seconds for him to get himself in to trouble, but we like to give our birds as much freedom as possible.
At some point, I'll see a G2 in a rescue, however, and just won't be able to walk away.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As it is, he seems pretty secure with his home, and has several play areas throughout the house that he freely moves among, unless he's attached to my shirt. He still bears watching, as it takes only a few seconds for him to get himself in to trouble, but we like to give our birds as much freedom as possible.
Rio sounds a lot like @sunnysmom's Elvis...;)