1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mudskipper Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aqua Park' started by ArowanaLover, 8/18/16.

1. ArowanaLover

ArowanaLover Sprinting down the street

Now a picture of a pistol shrimp would basically be impossible, he lives behind my macroalgae field and rarely comes out (like super rare), but I can easily hear him

Percy&Ivan likes this.
  2. MandaExotics

MandaExotics Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Amanda
    That's what I figured but I figured I'd ask. I wanna see a picture of one that isn't on a documentary or such one day lol

Percy&Ivan likes this.
  3. ArowanaLover

They are just as awesome as they sound, but they really are annoyingly loud most of the time.

Percy&Ivan and MandaExotics like this.
  4. Aubrey

Aubrey Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

That's so cool :)

Percy&Ivan likes this.
  5. Aubrey

Aubrey Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Totally agree! Annnd, I've got an empty 40 gallon tank ;)

Percy&Ivan likes this.
  6. Aubrey

Who's loud... the shrimp or the mud skipper?

7. Percy&Ivan

Percy&Ivan Rollerblading along the road Shutterbugs' Best

What noises do they make?

8. ArowanaLover

Pistol shrimp create tiny cavitation bubbles when they snap their "pistol" claw. It creates a bubble that (my basic understanding) shrimps so rapidly that it creates a HUGE amount of energy, heats up (to +4,000 C) and actually creates light and sound (which is amazing), and all of this happens within a microscopic speck of time. The bubble can give minor burns (only minor because of short time) and usually kills small fish on impact. It's a pretty great defense mechanism

Percy&Ivan, Aubrey and MandaExotics like this.
  9. ArowanaLover

Well, we both know what needs to be done with that empty 40 gallon tank. This is honestly the best aquatic pet I've ever had, they have so much more personality then a normal fish (they don't really fit in the same sentence as normal). It isn't even that expensive, the mud is the worst part. It cost me about $50, but I had a spare light laying around, that would have added about $30-40 to the price. Also, if you use mud instead of the sand I use, you will spend a lot more (I think, again, I can't find anywhere to buy it, so have no clue how much it costs). The brackish might be a bit hard, but I do saltwater as well, so already know, but I can easily teach anyone that wants to learn. I have absolutely zero regrets on the purchase and have already found enough entertainment to make it worth it, plus its pretty education, you are basically seeing evolution. Learning was pretty much on the go because I couldn't get anyone to help me, but I'll totally help you guys out in the name of parrots and spreading both the aquarium and mudskipper hobby (especially spreading the mudskipper hobby, there really aren't many people to talk to about this)

funny story about that, while I was referring to the shrimp, apparently my mudskipper pretty much screamed at someone. I was out of town and someone was watching the tanks, anyways he apparently escaped while the guy was in the house (thank goodness) and when he went to catch him the mudskipper "hissed, burped, and gurgled," "I thought he was going to kill me," "It was terrifying" he says, but he put him back at the tank and he hasn't made any escape efforts since (must have been trying to get to me ha ha ha ha ha).

Heather F, Percy&Ivan and Aubrey like this.
  10. Aubrey

Loved the escape story :hehe:

Where did you get the skipper? Online?

11. Percy&Ivan

Percy&Ivan Rollerblading along the road Shutterbugs' Best

12. ArowanaLover

A local pet store

Aubrey likes this.
  13. ArowanaLover

But I know where to get some online

Aubrey likes this.
  14. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Annette Thompson
    Very cool mud skipper ...what his name ..I think I missed that :D

15. ArowanaLover

Mr. Mudskipper is his name, though to be honest, I have no clue as to the gender.

Aubrey and Percy&Ivan like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)