• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mudskipper Aquarium

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear. Well I did post a thread to my new Goldie, but try not to eat her
:eek::confused::cool:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
When I had gourami I took a chance with my ghost shrimp tank. Yup, the gourami thought they were delicious.

I used to get a surplus of crickets, shrimp, even occasionally bettas, and other animals from a previous lab. Ghost shrimp were feeders used for research anyway and any lab animals that did not find homes were euthanized. I don't remember how to many times I had to say no to rats. For anyone that works/studies in academia or labs there are usually animals given away for free after research or labs are finished.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Well I'm actually hoping to do a MAJOR tank overhaul and (possibly) try breeding.
What I want to change:
1. Substrate (I need to change to "Mangrove Mud" to get them to breed, plus Mr. Mudskipper keeps knocking over the sand, I need something sturdier, I've heard the stuff smells, but my sense of smell is basically at 5%, so whatever)
2. Filtration (This is the fun part, I want to actually have a tide system, basically every six hours around %60 of the water would come or go, it would be pumped into a reservoir and filtered by a canister and UV)
3. Stocking (I want to add another Mudskipper, though information on sexual dimorphism is super vague)
4. Decor (Higher mountains would be possible with the mud)

Problems
1. No clue where to buy mangrove mud, I know where to get it though, and probably wont be able to for a while
2. The tide actually needs to be way more complex than every 6 hours, it needs to gain a 15 minute difference every day or something, so if anyone knows a AWESOME electric timer...
3. Mudskippers are SUPER aggressive, and if they killed each other that would suck
4. The decor keeps falling and I think I can fix this, but not sure
5. This species of mudskipper has not been bred in captivity EVER, which is really why I'm doing it

ArowanaLover

When I had gourami I took a chance with my ghost shrimp tank. Yup, the gourami thought they were delicious.

I used to get a surplus of crickets, shrimp, even occasionally bettas, and other animals from a previous lab. Ghost shrimp were feeders used for research anyway and any lab animals that did not find homes were euthanized. I don't remember how to many times I had to say no to rats. For anyone that works/studies in academia or labs there are usually animals given away for free after research or labs are finished.
Giant Gourami I assume?

ArowanaLover

It's crazy how fast he moves on the land and the water, his fins change depending on the terrain and when he is one he looks like he could never handle the other

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you take a video of him moving around and blinking and stuff? He sounds awesome.

Are they aggressive because there are territorial?

ArowanaLover

Could you take a video of him moving around and blinking and stuff? He sounds awesome.

Are they aggressive because there are territorial?
That's right, I'll try, though it may not be for a bit because he is already in lights out and I won't have the chance tomorrow

ArowanaLover

He lets me hold him sometimes and then freaks out all of a sudden and dashes through the tank. He and my pistol shrimp/goby are my favorite aquatic pets

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He lets me hold him sometimes and then freaks out all of a sudden and dashes through the tank. He and my pistol shrimp/goby are my favorite aquatic pets
Is he considered an amphibian? Or aquatic?

ArowanaLover

Nigel (and conure) both stay away from the tank, they have no problem with the other tanks though, they must sense the competition

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Giant Gourami I assume?
Well, they were pretty small shrimp. I was prepared for that risk lol.

I can't have large aquariums anymore where I live. More of a relief seeing as I'm not much of an aquarium lover. That way people can't pity me into taking them. Kinda hard to say no when people have fish in buckets with knives about to do God knows what.

Do you have pictures of your pistol shrimp? Those are pretty awesome BTW.

If I ever decide on a large aquarium again I'd probably get discus, but I haven't kept large aquariums for years either.

Last edited:

ArowanaLover

Now I'm sitting here convincing my self I don't need a mudskipper, how big do they get? I agree with @gibsongrrrl i love his eyes
Well there are a ton of species, I believe mine P. Barbarus only gets like 4 inches. And I am here to contradict you, you do need a mudskipper. If you want advice with a small setup, I can totally help you out. The minimum size tank is probably a 20 gallon, though I would do a 30 for fun, I'm glad I did