• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mudskipper Aquarium

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
I was at a pet store, doing some business with the owner. Anyways, on the front counter was the most unlikely thing for me to find, a west african mudskipper, my absolute #1 favorite fish (I suppose the dwarf indian is tied, but that is besides the point). I needed it. 3 days later, he was set up in a 30 gallon, mudskipper tailored aquarium, and is, disappointingly, the only inhabitant (I want another, but they might fight, I'll try to work around that though, the tank is big after all). He is doing great (though is a bit fat, I fed him too much today), and is by far the best fish I have had. His favorite food is live worms, and I have never seen a more eager fish, he caught one before it hit the water today, it was really cool. Given the fact that mudskipper need brackish water and land features, I would not recommend them to a new aquarist, but for the experienced fish-keeper, it has been a very awesome pet.

ArowanaLover

Oh, I should probably explain exactly why mudskippers are so awesome, they are not very common fish, so many people have never heard of them. Anyways, mudskippers are basically the link between a fish and an amphibian. They can easily (and happily) come on land and cross terrain, this is done by a few special gill and other organ adaptions that allows them to both hold air for long periods of time. The pectoral fins can switch between a normal fin and a "foot," while the pelvic fin is totally different, basically a suction cup and 3rd foot (they can climb the glass of an aquarium, so a covered tank is necessary, however, I have not seen mine exhibit this behavior). While they do need brackish water to survive long term, but can be kept in freshwater for periods of time with no ill effects. I would be more than happy to help anyone with setup of their mudskipper tank (I couldn't find anyone to help me :( ), I can PM tank specs, advice, and all that I have seen in my 3 weeks of mudskipper care.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Mudskippers are interesting. Congrats on your new addition. Do you have any arowana, as your forum name suggests? I may have asked that before, I can't remember.

I've never been one for large aquariums but seeing others' is always relaxing. Do you have pics?

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
I really want a frog fish I think they are called? Aquarium goals!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see pics either :shy:

But I feel your enthusiasm :dance5:

My dream fish is a puffer :dance4:

ArowanaLover

Mudskippers are interesting. Congrats on your new addition. Do you have any arowana, as your forum name suggests? I may have asked that before, I can't remember.

I've never been one for large aquariums but seeing others' is always relaxing. Do you have pics?
Sadly, no, I had one once that I planned on moving to a larger tank when he got bigger, sadly he only lasted a week due to poor shipment. I would love one though.

I can't see pics either :shy:

But I feel your enthusiasm :dance5:

My dream fish is a puffer :dance4:
Pufferfish tanks are not very complicated (saltwater ones at least) if you want I can totally help advise you on setup and management, I've been doing reef tanks for a while now, saltwater isn't nearly as hard as everyone says.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Goldfish are extremely messy and need a larger tank than 10 gallons..and friends. I wouldn't keep one in less than a 29 gal, and two max.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Congrats on the mudskipper. Very cool fish.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Goldfish are extremely messy and need a larger tank than 10 gallons..and friends. I wouldn't keep one in less than a 29 gal, and two max.
I think the OP was referring to puffer fish there. But solid advice :D

ArowanaLover

I was referring to the Indian Puffer, they are usually delivered very small, if you put them in a big tank, they just won't make it (get sucked into the necessary large filter, can't find food, etc). But i would totally agree with the goldfish, though if you use good filtration to keep the high ammonia rates. Also don't feed them all at once, they don't have stomachs (fun fact) so try to do it in small doses. I am not goldfish expert, that's just what i've heard and read about them, I've never been a huge fan of carps and characins, my freshwater tanks were things like bichir, south american cichlids, and large catfish.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you ever kept fancy goldfish, they'd win over your heart :heart: They're like water puppies :hehe:

ArowanaLover

I don't like puppies, I like the ferocity of the larger fish. Watching them hunt (usually ghost shrimp and tadpoles, but yes, for the bigger ones, comet goldfish) was my favorite part.