• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MRCA mating season + food + vet

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all!
This is my 1st post down here, in Zon Ave. Posted on the forum in other areas. Trying to make a long story short... I have adopted/inherited a Mexican red headed Amazon. I have had him for a few months. He was moved here in the beginning/middle of April. I waited to move him because I did not want all the stress of death & mourning to harm him/stress him. I believe he is a male. Not positive. I read something last night that this could be important? Especially if there is a ER visit of any kind... But don't know why. Would the breeder know? I may have located them thru his anklet ID, with my Hubby's help.

So far other then a few minor mistakes like moving to fast, and not knowing about some body language cues he & I appear to be doing well. I believe I am successfully changing his food from a seed dry mix = Perch Potato to the "fresh is best" concept. I have some questions that I can tell you 1 thing as a fact based on everything I've read & viewed on Utube. He has picked me as a mate & is umm.... Going thru his ummm (for lack of a better term) dance routine steps!?!

Can someone define warm food for me & besides scrambled eggs as to what I should avoid here during this time? He gets some dried food I've picked up @ grocery, like raisins, cranberrys & a fav: dried Nana treats. A variety of fresh veggies & some fruit 2 times a day. I try to let items warm before I place them in his bowl, carrots, lettuce, broccoli, grapes. And much more. Apple is cut & fed like someone may do @ a camp fire. I eat with a knife & give him a few slivers this is something we do every few days & he seems to enjoy. I am still testing different things here & have no idea what the mixed seed/fruits&veggies are... I how to replace when he runs out. Because, He still gets what he was getting before in the seed etc dept. But I put less in his bowl & he seems to be eating the fresh stuff much more. What about Chicken/Beef? Do I have to wait/can he have during mating season? Prepare ?'s may follow... Tee Hee!

I do not want to make him fat. I do not know how to weigh him. Any advice here? I also am not sure if it is better to purchase a soft travel/acrylic/bar cage (ICE). I promised the deceased that I would care for him, or find him the very best home I can. Until then I am trying to resolve the estate & make sure My Buddy is cared for. I want to get him into an Avian Vet for a wellness checkup. I must lean on another to get to & from places, as I don't drive. Are there any ?'s or things I can look into to find him a good vet?

I am doing my best to do what is best for everyone in this situation... I started with food. The vet is next & then maybe toy's! Any insite in these matters is appreciated!

:grouphug: Rain & Buddy:newhere:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Meat should only be given to a parrot very, very rarely and then only tiny pieces.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Hankmacaw!

Thanks for that info! I thought I had read something about meat on bones was good for their beaks. But it was weeks ago. I always double check before I feed. I have only given him a little fish from my daughter's fish fry & I saved a spoon of tuna (from prepping my dinner yesterday). My thought was to mix with something in his dish tomorrow after I posted today, but I forgot to ask... Tuna in water strained...

Sorry about all the :blahblah: but today I am overwhelmed in general.

:hug9: Rain & Buddy

Rolanda

If he's eating his veggies that's GREAT! You might want to look up some "CHOP" recipes (there are many here on the forum too). They list a LOT of fruits & veggies that are good for him. Kale is a good one. Are you going to be giving him pellets? I am sure some people may not agree with me but I really like giving my guys a variety of things. They will always have their staples but I put different things in as well. For instance I have been feeding my Mustache Parakeet TOPS pellets for a while and decided to add some Roudybush in as the TOPS has to be ordered online and Roudybush is more readily available. He likes the Roudybush so now he's eating both. I give both he and my lovebird Nutriberries and Pellet Berries alternating and then not for a while. I just like to mix things up.
Neither of them are good Fruit and veggie eaters but seem to do well with the freeze dried ones so I'm going to try some dehydrated Chop and maybe re-hydrate some and see if they will eat it.

You can buy an inexpensive kitchen gram scale on Amazon or at Walmart or Target, those types of stores. I think I paid $11 for mine on Amazon:xflove:. Generally pellets are what we give them as a staple but I know there are some here on the forum that only feed their birds fresh. I think we had a little unintentional heated debate recently when someone said that those of us that feed pellets were "... Just LAZY...".
This is a great place for real-life ideas and exchange of experiences. It's great to see what others are doing and decide what can work for you.:D

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd recommend sprouting seeds: he'll likely recognize them as food, and they're full of nutrients. As @Rolanda suggested, there are a lot of chop recipes available (Feathered Food Court) along with some easy to prepare meals offered by vendors. Chop is easy, IMO, especially if you have a food processor, a steamer, and a pressure cooker. @Danita of Avian Organics has some great products. You can always add to them to your birds preference.

Be patient. Most psittacines are reluctant to try new foods; Amazons can be especially stubborn. It took Morgan 10 years to accept natural pellets, and that's not an exaggeration.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Rolanda!

I've been real careful about talking about pellets. I have not tried them & if I did it would be as a treat (probably. I believe that (based on some google searches) that this is a debated subject in the owner & vet community. Maybe I am wrong? I can appreciate the use for a varied diet, I can also see those opinions based on seed & the fresh is best too. I think @ this point I am doing better then where it appears his only owner since he was a baby had him. What I saw concerned me. I posted onto an old thread which I thought explained what I saw initially @ his old home. Which now that you mentioned the scale, I remember seeing 1 @ his old house. The problem is he is still trying to trust me. He has only put 1 foot on my hand & for little duration. I guess he & I will take one step at a time. :chickendance:
Lol

Here is a link to that other post
New african grey owner, mating behavior?? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought I saved a siggy... Do I not see it cause I posted?

Hugs Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Aooratrix!

I considered looking into spouts. I may actually try it @ some point. There are days when it takes everything I have in me to spend my snuggle, cuddle time with him. If he can't have his cut fruits & veggies for an evening. I don't think it would matter much but I try to visit him & we sing & stuff @ a minimum 1/2 hour every night. Usually there is 1 night a week where he gets to bed late as I am @ his old home. He would then get his attention during the day.

If I had the time right now it would be sprouts. Maybe once the dust settles. To anyone healthy. Most of this would be a non-issue but, I am disabled. Everything I do takes 2-3 times longer than most. I know it sounds like an excuse. It's not tho. I have been trying to make his life as normal as I can. He did not come with written instructions of ANY kind. I hoped I would have found a few notes. Most of my extra (yea right) is spent for him. It's been taking precedence over everything lately. Including sleep. Lol!

Hugs, Rain

Rolanda

Make sure you take care of yourself as well, Dear, you're no good to yourself or that sweet feathered boy if you run yourself down. Have some of those good fruits & Veggies with him to keep both of you UP and HEATlHY! :xflove:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure you take care of yourself as well, Dear, you're no good to yourself or that sweet feathered boy if you run yourself down. Have some of those good fruits & Veggies with him to keep both of you UP and HEATlHY! :xflove:

Hiya & howdy Rolanda!
:laughing7:
:pinklol:
:laughing6:

ROTFL! Well, sorry I have to compose thy self. :giggle:

:laugh-bounce::hehepink:

*Ha Hum*(clearing throat). This is truly the fact. I must say Rolanda. Youu hit the nail on the head! Hence the uncontrolled laughter.

:thankyou:
Today I Really needed it!

Woke up today totally out of it, trying to figure out how it got to be 2 PM! I remember an early 5/6 O'Clock Am facilities run. I also sort of remember my medication alarm @ 10. Buddy starts (usually) awaking up between sometimes we start @ my 6 Am but usually 8-10 AM when I begin to start process.

Tell you what! If birds could have caffeine that would be Bud! :coffee: He takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to get up & rolling & I am not sure why (is it a seasonal thing)? Maybe he is just taking my lead in stride!

He was still wrapped up like a present in his cage. What a good boy tho! No complaint @ 2 can't believe it. I sat back on the couch knowing something was amock. Around 4:30Pm, I went to check him & realized the radio, one of his fav. things was still off! Now Mornings have a pattern goes...

The start of the open fronted blanket peel, every single day, we start with a :sleepsign: to Buddy & the radio click to on, with my love call so he knows I'm coming back to him. He's been weird about me leaving his room since the bad night. I can't believe I forgot it!

I apologized with a Huge :sorry: to Buddy & extra morning love (very very late!). This was after turning on the tunes which like:rpg5: made him pop to life! Strip off the blanket the rest of the way, with "Our" special hide & seek game with an aerobic tour around the cage. I know hide and seek is not a thing with most birds but he likes it & I always make sure he can see part of me above/balow the blanket. (Just posted in the event there are newbies reading or the seasoned poster, (so not to get yelled at)). Tee hee! I felt terrible the poor guy. I have been messing the routine a bit to try to calm some of that mating aggressions. This was a complete fail.

While we visited, I realize (he looked @ me oddly). Like an :eeeek: & a:backout:! The lips were moving to the lyrics no voice was coming out. Hmmm I thought my throat hurts. Oh yea shut the door with the room that was letting all that cold air in @ the early Am... facilities run :winnerdance:

Instead of dancing, I had ran up the stairs. Totally forgot/ was sleep walking w/eyes wide open!
Back down & find a cough drop. Throat hurt real bad. *Huge face palm!!!* hence the lol!

Having a *duh* moment. I'm sick! Throat hurts, stuffy head & all that sleep. I think. Buddy knows it, that is most positively why I have not been yelled @ today. You must be off you're game when there is no squawking from the cage @ 2 Pm & baby boy is still in bed.

You are so right! Not even good to me today!!!!
Big giant :hug1: for all the :hehe: & :lol:!

Rain

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolanda

AWWWW, Poor new Momma Bird! You gotta take care of yourself. Goood Buddy didn't even yell at you ... He KNOWS and even took it easy om you!!!
I was being serious as it seems you're under a lot of pressure and trying to hard to do right by him and his former paront. Stress and pushing through for a while anyway will get ya!
I am glad you got a good laugh about it though. Have a Hot Toddy (or a BIG SWIG of Nyquil) tonight, some Orange Juice in the morning and some chamomile tea during the day tomorrow.:fairy::heart:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Hi Rain, I guess everyone was letting you off lightly since you are new :D
BUT

:needpics:

Sorry had to do it :)
I love the colors on the Mexican Red Heads, they are so beautiful.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any pics on the tablet. I'll try to get ya'll 1 tomorrow. I'm not sure if he will freak out or not! Lol

:bighug:. Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
AWWWW, Poor new Momma Bird! You gotta take care of yourself. Goood Buddy didn't even yell at you ... He KNOWS and even took it easy om you!!!
I was being serious as it seems you're under a lot of pressure and trying to hard to do right by him and his former paront. Stress and pushing through for a while anyway will get ya!
I am glad you got a good laugh about it though. Have a Hot Toddy (or a BIG SWIG of Nyquil) tonight, some Orange Juice in the morning and some chamomile tea during the day tomorrow.:fairy::heart:
Hi Rolanda!
I hope You know... I was not Lol'ing @ you but the parallel with the timing of your post & my system burning out on itself. It in the blur of duh & illness :batonthehead:
Together had me in hysterics.

Well, I couldn't take the Ny Quil but the Robitussion & Benadryl helped considerably! Oh & the Hot Toddy sounded Yummy! But I settled for OJ & a nice hot cup of Tea before be. Yep. Mommy Bird flew into a wall, or @ least that was what it felt like. Today was much better but I'm starting to feel spent again. Probably do the same dose tonight, as it's still not right but better.

Buddy knew! Had to have known. He usually gets rowdy before bed on his "Evening Adventure" wouldn't even come out to play. Usually this is based on a poppy mood (from him) I think he pitied me. He had that look. Lol!

Thanks for the time & compassion for your post it was a sweet tweet!
:heart2:

:thankyou:
:hug2: Rain