• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moustache Anyone?

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Hi,
Do we have any Moustache Parrots out there? I'd be interested in any information and thoughts you have on them. We're anxiously awaiting a new baby in the next few weeks and the information on them seems a bit limited. I am, however, reading up in to flecks and Alexandrine.
Looking forward to hearing from ya!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump7:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think we have a lot of moustache owners on here. I think they're really, really cute (and I think Derbyians are really cute too) but at least where I live you don't come across them very often.

@Deejo ?

Last edited:

Rolanda

I don't think we have a lot of mustache owners on here. I think they're really, really cute (and I think Derbyians are really cute too) but at least where I live you don't come across them very often.

@Deejo ?
Thanks.
They look very similar to Derbyans. I think Derbyans are bigger, have larger beaks and stay about the same in color as they get older. Mustaches will get a rosey or peachy breast color and a blue-gray head.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, they do look very similar. About 4-5 years ago there was a Derbyan for adoption at a local rescue. It was the first time I had even heard of one and was instantly smitten with him. I started researching them to see if it would be a good fit for us, and in the process of my doing so, he got adopted. Which is good for him, sad for me. But that's the only one I've ever come across here.

Rolanda

Yes, they do look very similar. About 4-5 years ago there was a Derbyan for adoption at a local rescue. It was the first time I had even heard of one and was instantly smitten with him. I started researching them to see if it would be a good fit for us, and in the process of my doing so, he got adopted. Which is good for him, sad for me. But that's the only one I've ever come across here.
I was really looking forward to getting some good information from some Parronts here, you are all so great! That's okay, I'm still learning a lot. Plus I'm seeing some of the cutest Fids (and gaining a new vocabulary:geek:). Our baby will grow healthy from the wealth of knowledge here. Moustache or not. And I bet someone out there has a mustache (even if it's on their face):hehe:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was really looking forward to getting some good information from some Parronts here, you are all so great! That's okay, I'm still learning a lot. Plus I'm seeing some of the cutest Fids (and gaining a new vocabulary:geek:). Our baby will grow healthy from the wealth of knowledge here. Moustache or not. And I bet someone out there has a mustache (even if it's on their face):hehe:
I'm sure we do. I think Deejo might? And some members don't come on everyday so it might be a little while before a moustache owner sees this post. :)

Time1234me2fly

Checking out the neighborhood
I am sooooo excited (and nervous) we will be bringing home a 7 year old female moustache we are adopting tonight! We currently have a Quaker and Lovebird and I grew up with conures (Sun, Blue Crown) and husband grew up with Macaws (Hyacinth and Military) but this is a whole new ballpark for us! I would love to learn and hear thoughts from moustache owners as well!

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Bump

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't have one, but a dear friend used to raise them. They are, like most Asiatics, pretty hands-off, but there are exceptions. The babies she raised enjoyed interacting with people, probably like most ringnecks. Hers weren't great talkers. They love ambient attention and are content to hang out with their people. If not handled much, they seem to become pretty shy. The species is dimorphic, too: the beak color is different (hens have black beaks while males have red ones), and hens tend to have softer colors. There is a decent article about them on pet friendly.com, among other sites. Get to Googling! ;)

Time1234me2fly

Checking out the neighborhood
Bonita is settling in nicely! She's a great eater! Loves her cooked veggies/pellets/fruit for snack etc....Rescue said she is a bit nippy but so far no problems (however it is still the honeymoon stage so that may change) whatever or however she is we are definitely in love! ❤

Attachments

Rolanda

@Time1234me2fly Very Pretty Girl!
My Beaks doesn't seem to be much of a picky eater either. I think he gets tired of things but will eat them if I continue offering them.