• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mousebirds

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think I would like a handfed BN male. Think I can find one, maybe next season?
I love all the great info and photos. Thank you!
I do have this little boy...he just wants to be a pet. He is about a year old now and just got in his nice facial mask.

I will also be setting up the BN again. The adults are wild caught imports and did lay eggs but were too skittish to sit them. Maybe this time will be better. I tried to foster eggs under the WB mousers...but their eyes are sharp and they noticed the difference in the color of the shells. It also made me wonder if the WB did hatch them out because the WB babies have yellow tongues till they mature.
Carole...it was a pleasure talking to you too. Your future mouser has been the star of many of the pix's posted in this thread :)

Todays my birthday and I treated myself to Ebay, and won an Adobe InDesign CS4 program which I have been lusting for so that I can use it for my future book layout. So while the little mouser is here I'll get as many pix's as possible for the book, since he is a camera ham :)
:omg: They are little piggies aren't they :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Carole, are you really getting one of the mousers??? :dance4:

Yes, the one in this post I believe:laughing12:
I have to get everything ready and study all week long. I plan to drive to south Fl this Saturday.:D

------------------------------------------

Here he is :)
Double stuff:p So it sounds like I am going to have to take a loan out for fruit and invest in stocks of newspaper, paper towels, and vinegar!:eek::rofl:
I am thinking of doing as some lorie keepers do, and placing a shower curtain or similar around the cage and on the floor. The pictures of them are just precious.
Hehehe..I hope I arrive at a time when they want to eat.
OH..that would be anytime!:eek::lol:
Troy usually gets up at 6:30 a.m. I went to wake him and he wants to sleep more...ughh. Wake UP!!!! I Want TO Hit The Road!!!:rofl:
Shame on him :) If you come alone then you can't play with your little buddy on the way home...LOL

It's not raining down here. Overcast though. I spent all day yesterday getting the mousebird cages setup on the back porch so that I can get them moved back in, now that the weather is changing. I'm trying a different setup with the wild caught import BN. Hopefully they won't eat my Noni plant I put in the cage...LOL

We are proably going to have to talk over the geese. They are being extra nosey and swonky...they know something is up.
See..this is where I met Susanne and on the 5th of December, 2009, I drove down to Ft. Lauderdale to pick him up!:heart:

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
@srtiels I was just wondering what is the oldest mousebird you've ever kept and how long did it live? I had a RF for 10 year and always wonder how old he would've been did he not get sick?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello Naomi. Susanne and I just had this conversation the other day! She told me that whitebacks have the shortest lifespan at about 7 years. She said blue napes, maybe 15 years or so. Red faced are closely related to blue napes{Urocolius} so I would place them in the same category for longevity. I am no expert though. ;)

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Thanks, that's very interesting! Do you still have your BN, how long have you had him for?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi, yes I still have him. He is seven. I have had him since December of 09'. What did yours get sick from? I am sorry for your loss.

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
Hi Carole, they didn't get sick I lost them, when they were in someone's care... :sad8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Do you mean they flew away?

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
No, I was on honeymoon - my MIL (Mother in Law) was watching them for me, she left the courtyard's gate open and the dogs knocked the cage open, and killed them....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh I am so sorry. And sorry I asked you the details if it causes you pain.:sad2:

Naomi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Naomi
That's okay, it broke me heart... but time does heal wounds, although slow!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Just saw this thread & wanted to say hi to Carol. Also sorry to hear about the birds Naomi.