• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mouse house

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am a huge fan of mice. This is a photo of my most recent mouse, he was named Sir Nigel. He was a rescue. He went through so much before I brought him to his forever home. He was originally seized when a property lost the right to have animals. Normally mice wouldn't be seized for neglect, so in someway he was lucky to get a way out. He was then at the RSPCA and was adopted out once, but fought that person's existing mice. So he was returned to the RSPCA. When I brought him home it was 9 months old, which is old for a mouse. He lived as a single male with me, which was exactly what I was looking for. It was a perfect match! He passed away when he was 3 years and 1 month. We had a very good relationship. He was such a sweetie pie and loved scratches. Someday I may adopt another rogue male. They have the hardest time finding homes, but are super awesome. Biggest downside is that you are their only friend, so you need to have time for them. Mice are highly social, even boys that fight need a friend.

IMG_20160718_133610.jpg

Comet

Strolling the yard
Sir Nigel is beautiful! And he lived so long and happy with you. I'm so glad he had people who cared enough to rescue him.
Shredder is about a year old now, so he's getting older, but he still loves to run and climb! My husband and I just had him out with us, and he got to meet one of our friends for the first time. Crawled into his sleeve within a minute!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe! That is fantastic :) I made bunch of knit pockets for him to sit in when I was at the computer. Nothing beats hiding in something warm and fuzzy.

Sir Nigel sneaking out of his knit hut.
IMG_20160706_192851.jpg

My girls, when I had 4 of them circa 2011. The black one on the far right (Io) lived to be 3 years old also.
Now you have taken me down mice memory lane. So tempting to adopt another.

IMAG0147.jpg
Isis, Nephthys, Europa, Io

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very cute!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In my experience Male mice need to be pushed a little more to exercise. My girls, especially Io, was always rebuilding the nest and sorting bedding. Sir Nigel was easy. Sometimes he didn't even bother shredding the tissue and just lay on top. So try giving Shredder some challenges that he needs to solve to help keep him active and fit. I would hang a rope with an tiny bit of peanut butter at the top. So he would need to climb to get the treat. Good for strong micey abs and biceps!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Isis and Nephthys? That is awesome! (And they are all super adorable!) I have two button quails named Horus and Set, one passed named Osiris, as well as two budgies named Sekhmet, Hathor, and one passed named Ammit.
The knit houses look so cozy! I love the treat idea, by the way. I'll sometimes give him a millet spray clipped up in an interesting place that he has to get to, and he also loves hunting mealworms!
Congratulations on the long lifespans, also! May I ask what brand/type of food was their staple diet, if you stuck to a particular one?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I used vetafarm mouse and rat mix whilst in Australia. In the U.S. my partner kept rats on Kaytee lab blocks. I also regularly fed leafy green veg. I used a oaten hay mix in the bottom of the enclosures in combination with compressed recycled paper pellets. They like foraging through it. I also fed live crickets as a treat time to time. It is amazing to watch them hunt crickets.

Basically whenever I cooked dinner I would give him or them a few scraps from prep, a small piece of veg or lettuce. I also would give a small piece of hard boiled egg. Don't go over board on animal proteins I only gave egg or insects occasionally. It wasn't a regular offering. Just think of how mice live. Normally they forage for seeds, grains etc and once in a while they bump into an insect or egg etc.

So do your best to replicate that. They like climbing narrow sticks to forage grains, as this is the purpose of their tail. They are very good at balancing on a bouncing plant stalk.. it is amazing!

My best advice is to keep them interested in exploring and foraging. They are very clever. Also as you know, a clean house is SUPER important to protect their sensitive lungs from ammonia complications. No Pine shavings or high dust and dander bedding. Mice are also very sensitive to sudden temp changes, a cold night can cause an elderly mouse to perish.

They are really rewarding pets. Very much like building trust with a bird, they need to do things at their pace and trust you. It sounds like you have already made good progress with trust since Shredder is already hand friendly :)

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the food recommendations! The shavings in the corner are aspen. I'll make sure to get some hemp rope and maybe tie some little sticks together to give him something more fun and challenging to climb on! He gets dried fruit and wheatgrass frequently, as well. I'm going to go get him a more cozy place to hide (a fabric bird tent that hangs from the top of the cage, that my budgies never cared to use), and give him lots of toilet paper to shred! I'll also get him some more hay soon.
He's still a little timid getting picked up, but as soon as he's in someone's hands, he's trusting.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe he looks so happy with the rope! Nice idea, also great exercise opportunity. I love his coat. So gorgeous!