• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting and the colour changes

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I have had my first canary breeding season this year. Wow it has been very memorable and fascinating.

The whole process of a chick to their 1st unflighted moult has been very interesting. I had no idea (complete novice), that a brown chick could completely change colour.

I have uploaded in separate replies so I dont muddle anyone. There are 2 lots of pictures to show the change in colours from 2 chicks, newly fledged to their unflighted moult ...Charlie my boy and Petal my girl.

I have also uploaded 2 pics of Princess. I havent had her from a hatchling. I got her last year as unflighted. She has now nearly gone through her 1st flighted moult. Her cap is different now...is this a normal occurrence? I didnt expect a change with Princess ...she has a very pretty tiara now.

So Charlie 1st,
C3.3.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_3000cut2.jpg IMG_3156.JPG

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
3rdly Princess now matured and flighted,

1st pic of her unflighted, before flighted moult.
2nd pic from today.

IMG_0249.JPG 20180824_114307.jpg

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
They're all so pretty :loveshower:

Charlie's colors intensified. Petal was the most changed. You can kind of see her colors peeking through before her molt, but whoa! And Princess is more like a poofy Queen now.

What a cool thing to witness :)

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
It has been cool to see. I have found the whole moulting process very interesting. Your right @sheeluhwhet, Petal has had the biggest change and I can now see some of the colours peeking through on her younger self, now you have pointed it out.