• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moto finally ventured out

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
If any of you have been following my story with Moto my African Ringneck I got him in January and he was parent reared, very afraid and skittish. I am home with him/her all day, so it has been 6 months since Moto arrived. Each day in the morning we have a routine and recently he starting saying hello at sunrise, we chat back and forth jibberish and several "hellos" tossed in. Then I feed and change the water, and open the cage door. So for 6 months Moto never ventured out. At dinner time I refresh the water and food, and close the door of the cage. I wheel the birds into my bedroom for the night as my other half gets up at 4am and I want the birds to get their 11-12 hours of sleep.
Two weeks ago I added a parrotlet "Kya" to our family and placed the cage near Moto's cage. Kya was hand raised and very friendly I handle her daily.
Fast forward to this morning around 7am, I was sleeping and all of a sudden I felt a flutter of air above my face. I woke up to find Moto out of the cage and perched on top of Kya's cage. I was thinking how in the world did that happen? So after careful examination I discovered that he got through the feed cup door which I had fastened but he apparently got open. So this is crazy the "BIG" door is open all day and he doesn't come out but he squeezed through the food cup door. I just went about the normal morning routine and once I put his breakfast in the cage he went back in after a few flights around the room. Crazy bird.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay, glad Moto ventured out of his cage! I guess Kya is a good influence!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
It is good he came out on his own terms by choice (and you found his escape route so you can fix it). Do you have plexi-glass or a barrier on top of Kya's cage? I would be worried about birdy-toes getting nipped.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That's great & I do the think the new bird has made him feel more comfortable & maybe seeing you hold the new one he will get the idea you are not that scary any more.

Wow, says hello!

Ditto on something on the cage top for protection.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Ok I will design something on the top of Kya's cage to protect her, but honestly she sits on her swing or her one favorite perch and he cannot reach her from the outside of the cage. She acts totally unaffected by Moto being on her cage.
Well Moto has now become an escape artist, I am going to have to put different clasps on the feed doors, put them in the bedroom tonight for sleepy time and returned to the bedroom to find Moto perched on top of Kya's cage AGAIN...ugh, first he didn't wanna come out for anything, now I can't keep Moto in. Why Moto won't use the big door to come out is beside me, would rather squeeze through the feed door...LOL

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He;ll learn to use the big door but secure the small door so he can't get out.
You never know if they get close to each other thru the bars one can bite the others feet.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Make sure he doesnt learn how to open Kya's cage! They aré very clever!

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
This has really been interesting. Moto is obsessed with Kya, she wants to be near her. I have not let them physically interact yet. Moto comes out of the cage through the big door now while I have Kya out interacting with me. This has nothing to do with me (sigh) but today Kya was sitting on my finger and then shoulder watching videos on the computer and Moto was sitting about 3 feet from us watching us. I think she is probably thinking why is Kya interested in me instead of her (jealous). Sadly after waiting 3 hours for Moto to go back in her cage tonight I had to towel her off the top of Kya's cage to go to bed as it was getting really late and dark.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Poor Moto has been moulting so bad, I have been giving her regular baths and sunshine but I feel bad I cannot help her preen. Kya is also moulting, but not as much. She lets me preen her.