• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Morning poop

Nutzbirdz65

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cathy
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here,( but not to birds, just to my caique) I have a 15 week old bcc who still loves to be spoon fed, I'm a bit worried about his fist poop of the day though...the last few days it has been very green and sloppy, it gets better during the day it's just this big huge one in the morning that I'm worried about, I have just changed to vetafarm weaning, could this be the reason? He does get pellets, all sorts of one's, some seeds, fruit and vegetables as well but still loves his baby food. I will be taking him to an avian vet again soon if this is something I should be worried about.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's hard to tell without seeing it, but first poop of the day is usually the largest. Change in diet, colored pellets and the color of fruits and veggies can change the consistency or color of the poop. What pellets is he getting and which fruits & veggies?
BTW, welcome to AA and congrats on your Caique. What is his name?

Nutzbirdz65

Real Name
Cathy
His name is Chewie, and gets zupreem nutri blend. I also got a sample pack of all sorts of different pellets from absolutely nuts, which are mainly zupreem or black parrot as well. Fresh food consists of corn, broccoli, bok choy, Apple, blueberries, grapes, raspberries, mango, pawpaw, etc, when I wake up he still loves his formula, screams at me to tell me to feed him lol, then when my partner gets home he does it again till he gets fed. Will try and get a photo of it in the morning.

Just none of my other birds have had that sort of poop b4...worried mum I guess.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi and welcome to AA. If it is Chewie's first poop in the morning a big one is considered normal, especially if Chewie sleeps in a tent or some kind of sleep hut/tunnel. Fids will hold their poop and do a "good morning" poop that, I believe, would make most guys blush. Fids sitting on eggs will also do that - they'll wait until they leave the nestbox and then poop. I believe I still have a photo somewhere of somebody's poop next to a ruler if that will ease your mind.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since we aren't seeing the poop and if you have concerns or feel that it is "off" then your best choice is to bring him to the vet and take with a sample just in case he doesn't poop on the way to or at the vet's. I am very surprised when one of my birds has a small AM poop. :)

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Looks like a caique morning poop to me! Mine get taken straight to the toilet as soon as I take them out of their sleep cages.

Nutzbirdz65

Real Name
Cathy
Ahh good ty...as a first time caique mum I had no idea why it was so large and green...but thanks to all the help here I now know....have to toilet train I think...lol

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
It doesn't concern me. The things you want to look out for in droppings:

Watery droppings (if they last for more than a day and are frequent)
Red droppings - Now, if your parrot has just eaten a strawberry or a beet than seeing some bright red (in the feces) is normal. If he/she hasn't, then a red dropping should be very alarming. Red droppings indicate internal bleeding.
Black droppings - Parrots should never, no matter what they have eaten have black droppings. Black droppings can also indicate internal bleeding.
Gas bubbles in droppings - This can indicate digestive problems and should ultimately lead to a visit to the vet.
Yellow urine - Urine should always be clear, yellow or discolored urine is a sign of an unwell parrot.
Foul smelling droppings - Droppings should never smell foul. If they do smell foul then a vet visit should be arranged.
Discolored urates - Urates should always be white or creme colored.

An occasional watery dropping or weird dropping (as long as it's not one of the alarming droppings mentioned above) are fine. The main thing to be concerned about is frequency.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Ahh good ty...as a first time caique mum I had no idea why it was so large and green...but thanks to all the help here I now know....have to toilet train I think...lol
:greet5: I know I welcomed you in my earlier post but you can now officially:batonthehead: count yourself as part of the "bird crazy people":feedpigeons: since you've been able to initiate and maintain what is a perfectly normal conversation (to us) about bird poop and have already progressed to the point of :chrisphoto: photographing it without even breaking a blush:wink2:.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Re guarding black poop. An exception would be after eating blueberries. They cause watery poops with black pieces of digested blueberry soon after eating them in my gcc.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Re guarding black poop. An exception would be after eating blueberries. They cause watery poops with black pieces of digested blueberry soon after eating them in my gcc.
Thanks for the info.:) But the droppings aren't completely black I imagine? Maybe with a blue/purple undertone?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
A lot of times I am alarmed by red, orange and dark purple or burgundy poop. Then I remember what I fed Joey prior.
I should make a color chart.....
Blue berries, raspberries, red and orange peppers, and lately InTune pellets (as that is what he will eat right now)