• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Morgan in the Aviary

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
In our local Veterans park ,we have flocks of Mexican Redhead Amazons , many Eucalyptus trees and Coral Trees they roost and nest in. The park maintenance people let me haul away huge branches, t use in my outdoor aviary. I could fit a huge piece in in a setup like @aooratrix .

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think he used some very large chicken coops. Great idea, I think it's quite cost effective compared to having a custom built. It certainly has form and function. I may do this also.
Thanks Suzanne! I saw a powder coated chicken coop 7'x8' that didn't look bad...I think the price was about $500...not a bad idea! I know I really want to get my birds outdoors this summer. The other thing I worry about is mosquitoes and the worry of Zika and West Nile. Any thoughts on those pesky critters?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne! I saw a powder coated chicken coop 7'x8' that didn't look bad...I think the price was about $500...not a bad idea! I know I really want to get my birds outdoors this summer. The other thing I worry about is mosquitoes and the worry of Zika and West Nile. Any thoughts on those pesky critters?
Do you live near a boggy area. Cant live in a bubble theirs trade-off in life. What can you do? The benefits outweighs the risks!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Do you live near a boggy area. Cant live in a bubble theirs trade-off in life. What can you do? The benefits outweighs the risks!
No we don't but the mosquitoes in our area can be pretty bad.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
No we don't but the mosquitoes in our area can be pretty bad.
I have a pond in my backyard next to it is their Outdoor Aviary, every spring I have many new mosquitoes , I have turtles and fish that help keep the numbers down but still I worry too. I have to hope for the best and let them enjoy their captive lives as best I can .Giving them the benefits of outdoors for a while is a good thing.
Possibly spraying with neem oil around their enclosure is an option.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@jmfleish ...I keep coming up with more ideas for your mosquito woes! Being a native of the mosquito capital of north America.
I'm originally from Miami-Dade county Florida. What Floridians have, and I love, is what they call a caged in patio or pool. Its completely enclosed in a screened in area .

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just won't have mine out late at night or toward dusk when the skeeters seem to come out. It's a valid concern, though.

@Just-passn-thru : I'm ordering some eucalyptus leafy branches and will be putting other leafy branches in the canopy I make with the aronico cargo net I got.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How is she doing lately. The last update I remember is that she was acting like a brat and biting daddy when she had a long history of not doing that.

She seems to have settled down. No more boxes for her! However, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets broody-moody again next spring. We are doing well. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is a beauty! What did you make the aviary out of? I want one so bad but I suppose there are lots of things I want...I'm still working on Jon to start the addition to our house this summer...sigh...

It's a Producer's Pride Defender chicken coop (10x10x7); I sold the coop that came with it for $150 in under 24 hours! I paid $1100 for it and an extra panel at TSC. So far, I'm very happy with it. It's a dream come true here.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She seems to have settled down. No more boxes for her! However, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets broody-moody again next spring. We are doing well. :)
Boxes are what got me in trouble with Ams...that and Iris and her wanting to do “the naughty dance”!;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It's a Producer's Pride Defender chicken coop (10x10x7); I sold the coop that came with it for $150 in under 24 hours! I paid $1100 for it and an extra panel at TSC. So far, I'm very happy with it. It's a dream come true here.
So going to look this up!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Boxes are what got me in trouble with Ams...that and Iris and her wanting to do “the naughty dance”!;)

Sometimes, I feel bad that she's alone during out time or in the aviary, but she attacks the macaws like a harpy eagle! And I need another Amazon like I need a hole in the head!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
just won't have mine out late at night or toward dusk when the skeeters seem to come out. It's a valid concern, though.
Of course ,I worry too, but I feel we can sometimes overworry .I do that's for sure. :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Sometimes, I feel bad that she's alone during out time or in the aviary, but she attacks the macaws like a harpy eagle! And I need another Amazon like I need a hole in the head!
There’s no guarantee that she’ll get along with another Amazon either. It’s such a crap shoot.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There’s no guarantee that she’ll get along with another Amazon either. It’s such a crap shoot.

True. I'm very aware of that. You don't see me scouring the country, looking for an Amazon! Besides, I'm a macaw guy through and through. Love her dearly and work around her quirks, but I can't imagine getting any bird other than a macaw. And the inn is FULL, unless I hit the lottery. ;)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
True. I'm very aware of that. You don't see me scouring the country, looking for an Amazon! Besides, I'm a macaw guy through and through. Love her dearly and work around her quirks, but I can't imagine getting any bird other than a macaw. And the inn is FULL, unless I hit the lottery. ;)
Unless someone just happens to have to rehome their Hyacinth to an experienced Macaw person. ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unless someone just happens to have to rehome their Hyacinth to an experienced Macaw person. ;)

That would be amazing. I do have, not to brag, a slice of macaw heaven here. Homemade chop, handmade bird toys, an outdoor aviary, etc. There are worse landings;)