• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More progress!

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I think I may be the owner of a budgie soon...

Today, shopping for dog toys at PetSmart, I saw an ADORABLE Pineapple Green Cheek Conure and called mom over to see it. She actually thought it was kind of cute! She then turned to the budgies and said, "that yellow one is pretty." :bliss: She has been happy with the dogs lately, too.

Presenting tomorrow if nothing goes south!

Not really relevant, but I thought this was funny;
On looking at the conure, my mom said "That's a big bird!"
Oh, wait till I'm moved out and have a macaw :hehe:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Crossing fingers, toes, and feathers here!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Budgies are the cutest little bundles of energy. I love watching them when I visit a store that has them. And, they are so trainable which is right up your alley since you work with training your dogs. I know Connor stays in your room so where will you keep a bird when that happens? BTW... Loved your video on training tricks to Connor. I want your recipe for the treats!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Budgies are the cutest little bundles of energy. I love watching them when I visit a store that has them. And, they are so trainable which is right up your alley since you work with training your dogs. I know Connor stays in your room so where will you keep a bird when that happens? BTW... Loved your video on training tricks to Connor. I want your recipe for the treats!
Aww, thanks! Here's the recipe:

1 cup quick cook oats
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 egg

Mix oats, applesauce, and cinnamon in large bowl. Add egg. Then just put them on parchment paper in the shapes you want. They don't change shape in the oven. Bake for around 12-15 minutes. They're great for walks because they are soft but don't crumble in your pocket!

Connor has been a PITA tonight, should I still go ahead and present? Or wait two days until my mom is back from Steamboat? She leaves early tomorrow morning, but I'm staying home with Dad.

Connor doesn't sleep in my room anymore, due to crying. He's happy to sleep in the hall outside my room.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Talked with my little sister Hannah, earlier today, she wants to pitch in for toys if my mom says yes! I had an idea, budgies are happier with a friend, right? If my mom agrees, she is pitching in a few extra dollars for her own budgie! We would get them from the same pet shop, so no quarantine/getting used to each other would be needed, and they would share the cage I'm getting. It's a rather big cage, plenty of horizontal flight space. Of course I would be mainly responsible with the care of them both, but I would probably have Hannah help with stuff like cleaning the cage and preparing food. She would get to pick hers out and name it, although I would turn her choice down if the bird looked sick or adult aged. I think it will be a good learning opportunity, without any pitfalls that I can see. If she proved herself responsible, I would hand over more of the care of her budgie to her. If she lost interest, both birds would become mine.

EDIT: Asking in a few days. It's late and she will be in a good mood after two days without dogs.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Talked with my little sister Hannah, earlier today, she wants to pitch in for toys if my mom says yes! I had an idea, budgies are happier with a friend, right? If my mom agrees, she is pitching in a few extra dollars for her own budgie! We would get them from the same pet shop, so no quarantine/getting used to each other would be needed, and they would share the cage I'm getting. It's a rather big cage, plenty of horizontal flight space. Of course I would be mainly responsible with the care of them both, but I would probably have Hannah help with stuff like cleaning the cage and preparing food. She would get to pick hers out and name it, although I would turn her choice down if the bird looked sick or adult aged. I think it will be a good learning opportunity, without any pitfalls that I can see. If she proved herself responsible, I would hand over more of the care of her budgie to her. If she lost interest, both birds would become mine.

EDIT: Asking in a few days. It's late and she will be in a good mood after two days without dogs.
Looks like a good plan.... and on waiting till Mom is in a good mood... smooth move! I like it!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Aww, thanks! Here's the recipe:

1 cup quick cook oats
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 egg

Mix oats, applesauce, and cinnamon in large bowl. Add egg. Then just put them on parchment paper in the shapes you want. They don't change shape in the oven. Bake for around 12-15 minutes. They're great for walks because they are soft but don't crumble in your pocket!

Connor has been a PITA tonight, should I still go ahead and present? Or wait two days until my mom is back from Steamboat? She leaves early tomorrow morning, but I'm staying home with Dad.

Connor doesn't sleep in my room anymore, due to crying. He's happy to sleep in the hall outside my room.
Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it. Did you taste them yourself? I'll bet they taste good too! Your plan on waiting till mom gets back from Steamboat ( I don't know what that is....) is a good idea. I remember my first budgie very well. He was a little green guy I got from a breeder. Named him "Peaches". One of my brothers friends would always say " Peaches, Peaches beep beep" and he learned to say that and my dog's name "Pepper, come here".

I'm glad you solved Connor's crying by allowing him to sleep outside of your room. I gave it great thought on that post of yours and felt in my heart that he wanted to keep an eye on the whole pack of family members... smart dog!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Steamboat is a really awesome Colorado town with a natural hot springs clean enough to swim in! My mom and sisters are "staycationing" (pretty sure it counts if they are still in the same state), but I can't swim right now due to "female problems" and there isn't really any other point in going. I'll be drawing and working with the dogs this weekend.

I did try one of the cookies, but they were really grainy and bland. The dogs like them though, and I guess that's what matters! I guess you could make a human version with butter and sugar added!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Good luck! The second budgie plan sounds great to me!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Can't wait to hear if Mom agrees with the plan. I love that you would share the experience with Hannah, and allow her to name, as well as the responsibility of cleaning cages too! She can only benefit from this, and you are such a great Mommy to your flock. I read the post last night, but the phone rang, so I didn't comment - "timing is everything" in some proposals, I like the fact that you waited to broach the subject. Can't wait to hear if she agrees. That was great that she commented on the pretty budgie at the pet store - great sign!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Well, I presented. And I have good news and bad news.

Good news:
Mom said I could get a budgie

Bad news:
I'll need to wait at least few months. That feels like a lifetime as a teen! :arghh:
At least Mom "approved" the plan. But she doesn't want another animal, no matter how small, on her plate just yet. She apparently thinks that having to remind me to feed the dogs (I have an awful memory) is "too much work" despite it literally being the ONLY pet chore she has to do besides drive them to the vet/dog sitter's. Sigh.

I also had my first-ever anxiety attack before I presented. Heavy breathing, sick to my stomach, pacing, stress level through the roof, the whole nine yards. I was scared to death before I talked to Mom, if Hannah wasn't there, I don't think I would have done it.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow - that is good news though, imagine the fun of anticipating and getting ready for the new little one - toys, perches, fun fun fun! So - do you have a specific color in mind? Any names picked out?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you set a reminder on a phone or computer so your mum never has the responsibility of reminding you to feed the pets?
Although it may only be a small thing she has to remind you, it is also a very important one for the health of the pets so I can understand her not wanting to have to do this if the responsibility of the pets is not to be on her shoulders. If you can manage to have them fed and all the other things done that you have to do, you may just find that the few months you have to wait will lessen.
I know I told my daughter she had to prove to me that the most I would have to do for her pets is to drive them to the vet when needed or babysit when she goes out before she was allowed to get more of them.
If your mum knows that you are being totally and fully responsible for the dogs and she never has to worry about anything to do with them I think she will get your bird sooner rather than later. I personally think this is a test about your commitment and responsibility level, so make this your time to shine..... really prove just how committed and responsible you are for the animals you want by having their every need taken care of before you need to be told to do your job.
I have my fingers crossed for you little chicky ;)

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Wow - that is good news though, imagine the fun of anticipating and getting ready for the new little one - toys, perches, fun fun fun! So - do you have a specific color in mind? Any names picked out?
Yep!
I want to get either a grey, green, or pied budgie, although I'll probably end up going with the one that looks the youngest. My sister wants a grey or albino budgie, although she said she would settle for green. The mutations are all the same price, so it's really just looking for one that's young and healthy-looking. Hannah wants a female budgie, and I will have my eye out for a male.

Here are the names we have picked:
Harley
Poptart
Popcorn
Apple
Stormie (for some reason I have my heart set on this name)
Splash
Woodstock "Woody" (Really like this one too)
Piper (Another favorite)
Jack/Jackie
Blu

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Can you set a reminder on a phone or computer so your mum never has the responsibility of reminding you to feed the pets?
Although it may only be a small thing she has to remind you, it is also a very important one for the health of the pets so I can understand her not wanting to have to do this if the responsibility of the pets is not to be on her shoulders. If you can manage to have them fed and all the other things done that you have to do, you may just find that the few months you have to wait will lessen.
I know I told my daughter she had to prove to me that the most I would have to do for her pets is to drive them to the vet when needed or babysit when she goes out before she was allowed to get more of them.
If your mum knows that you are being totally and fully responsible for the dogs and she never has to worry about anything to do with them I think she will get your bird sooner rather than later. I personally think this is a test about your commitment and responsibility level, so make this your time to shine..... really prove just how committed and responsible you are for the animals you want by having their every need taken care of before you need to be told to do your job.
I have my fingers crossed for you little chicky ;)
Good idea. I just need to set my alarm to really loud, because usually my kindle is on a whole different level of the house. Hopefully your advice helps!

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Yep!
I want to get either a grey, green, or pied budgie, although I'll probably end up going with the one that looks the youngest. My sister wants a grey or albino budgie, although she said she would settle for green. The mutations are all the same price, so it's really just looking for one that's young and healthy-looking. Hannah wants a female budgie, and I will have my eye out for a male.

Here are the names we have picked:
Harley
Poptart
Popcorn
Apple
Stormie (for some reason I have my heart set on this name)
Splash
Woodstock "Woody" (Really like this one too)
Piper (Another favorite)
Jack/Jackie
Blu
I usually like to wait to see the personality of the pet before choosing a name. Like my newest bird, he/she is the sweetest thing ever! The first time she/he took a nap was on my chest, because I took a nap on the couch as well. She woke me up after she started poking my glasses. Great progress on with your mom, I was in your situation 2 months ago. It'll be a rough ride on completely winning your parents over, but they'll eventually learn how to love the birds as one of their own. Good luck!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
That's why I have a list of names, all suitable for different personalities! I might also go with some Norwegian names, as a nod to my heavy Norwegian heritage. Maybe something meaning "Miracle" or "Lucky" or something similar.

Last edited: