• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More pre-molt fluff??

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
About a month or so ago, I posted about Peeps becoming pretty fluffy on his left side. Today, I noticed he was chewing on some of the feathers on his right side. Despite looking ruffled, I don't see any bare skin nor any signs of plucking. Do canaries begin to look like this when they're aboutto molt? Actually, should he be already molting??
20180712_171716.jpg 20180712_171638.jpg
20180712_171850.jpg
20180712_172038.jpg

Serin

Sprinting down the street
He does look disheveled but I can't say what's going on. It's not part of the molting process. Mine are molting now, earlier this year than last, and the only change in their appearance is they look paler, as the white bases of their orange and yellow feathers, respectively, show up more as additional feathers which would otherwise conceal them are shedding and have not grown back yet, resulting in a slightly sparser plumage.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
He does look disheveled but I can't say what's going on. It's not part of the molting process. Mine are molting now, earlier this year than last, and the only change in their appearance is they look paler, as the white bases of their orange and yellow feathers, respectively, show up more as additional feathers which would otherwise conceal them are shedding and have not grown back yet, resulting in a slightly sparser plumage.
Hi @Serin , thanks for replying!

Your description matches Peeps' appearance last winter when he was going through his off-season molt. When did your birds start molting last year, if you dont mind me asking? Is Peeps late?

Technically, he finished molting last January/February. Would that affect this upcoming molt? I have been adjusting his light schdule, so I uncover him between 7-7:30 am and cover him at 8:30 pm.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi hope all is ok @sheeluhwhet

Peeps is moulting. I have discovered with my canaries that they are all different in appearance and demeanour.

Angel = the first picture. She is moulting but wouldn't have known except her new tail
Jellybean = 2nd picture. Oh bless him he looks so scruffy. He is normally sleek and smooth.
White Tail = 3rd pic with jellybean. She is having her first body moult
Youngster to sell = 4th pic. He is having his first body moult.
I do believe it helps them with what they have been fed right from their young life. Jellybean may not have had the right diet before I had him and now with his 1st full moult it has caught up with him maybe?? The juvenile barely shows its moulting... I took @finchly advice and use feather fast daily. Hope my pictures help
20180713_141815-1.jpg 20180713_141933-1.jpg 20180713_142048.jpg 20180713_141240-1.jpg

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hey @Clairecanary15 !

I hope your canaries are doing well, they look so cute even if they are molting! Peeps is singing and flying around as usual, he's just more ruffled than usual. What does Feather Fast do?

Serin

Hi @Serin , thanks for replying!

Your description matches Peeps' appearance last winter when he was going through his off-season molt. When did your birds start molting last year, if you dont mind me asking? Is Peeps late?

Technically, he finished molting last January/February. Would that affect this upcoming molt? I have been adjusting his light schdule, so I uncover him between 7-7:30 am and cover him at 8:30 pm.
Yes January is very late and not normal but can occur as a result of improper lighting. If he is now on natural day length he should molt sometime between June and October, usually July or August though here it's fully bright at 6 am and light until almost 9 pm so I'd recommend lengthening his day another hour and a half or so for a few weeks then begin shortening it again to trigger a molt if he has not yet started. Last year my male molted in August and my female at the very end of September. This year he started in June and she has started in the past couple days.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 I'll get it from Amazon now :)

@Serin okay, I'll increase his daylight :) I'll have to get up earlier since it gets dark here by 8:30--Im in the US west coast.

Peeps seemed to be doing alright today. He took a bath so his side feathers dont look as disheveled as before. He's behaving like his usual self--loud and acrive--but he has been a bit more nippy lately. Thanks so much for your replies guys, I'll update if he begins to molt or anything odd happens. :)