• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

More new-hatch baby problems... help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Ginger - I don't have any pics of it being done, but there are some eggs in the nests and when the babies are pulled, I'll take a video of it being done and post it. Will that be okay? I know it's probably very hard to understand just by me telling you how we do it.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
As long as you know how to hand feed, Pull the baby. I would not suggest trying to foster unless YOU KNOW FOR SURE the other female will care for the baby, I've had luck and not such good luck doing this, Recently I only had 2 pairs on eggs and the one kept throwing the eggs out (new mom) So i marked the egg and fostered it to a pair who had eggs the foster mom destroyed every new egg I put in but not destroy hers!

so now I know who I can use as a foster parent and who i can't and unfortunately at the time didn't have my normal fosters set up to breed so I couldn't use them

but it is very different hand feeding just hatched/day old babies compared to 3 weeks old

they eat more often their temps need to be extremely different in the brooder

unfortunately there is barely any info on line about hand feeding budgies (because it is not recommended) But I did find this

Hand Rearing Baby Budgies - The Budgerigar Breeders Club Inc. Budgie Community Forums

and it is talking about day old/just hatched chicks so hopefully it'll help

Sorry i'm not more help but I don't even pull my babies that I do hand feed until they're 3 weeks old so the brooder temp, amount to feed and how often is totally different than what you'll be dealing with

but do except them to be stubborn at 1st (all mine are) and I have to make them eat a little each time before they finally realize the syringe gives them food and start doing the feeding response

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Ginger - I don't have any pics of it being done, but there are some eggs in the nests and when the babies are pulled, I'll take a video of it being done and post it. Will that be okay? I know it's probably very hard to understand just by me telling you how we do it.
Your so sweet, that would be great, but I was wondering if you could post a photo of how you twist the cup and what it looks like.

Ginger

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
Sorry to be reading this Kathy. I also would not recommend pulling a day old baby if you do not have experience hand feeding though. I am an experienced hand feeder and would not care for feeding a day old. Am wondering why you said you wouldn't need to feed til dinner time? A day old baby lovie needs to eat like every 2 hours. Some thing I have seen folks do with tiny lovies is kind of like the dixie cup but with a metal baby spoon- you bend the tips up so you have a teeny spout.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Sure, that would be no problem. I've got my camera battery charging. I let it run completely down, dummy me. I'm getting ready to go out with friends tonight, but when I get home from work tomorrow, I will post a pic for you. Tomorrow is my long day so I won't get home till about 9 pm. Will that be okay?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That's fine. Thank you.

Ginger

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I've spent the rest of the afternoon reading and trying to put together what it's going to be like to be a full fledged ~no pun intended~ bird mom. I got some Pedialyte at Walgreen's and my infant took about 2 drops. Now I'm running out to get a bite for myself and will do the routine as soon as I return. BF says I must give a drop or two every 15-30 minutes, so that will begin when I get home.
Baby is quite active and so beautiful. I'm rapidly getting attached... I am attached.

This thread may be removed from the 911 section and I will post in the Lovebird section later. Thanks to all of you especially Ginger for coming to my quick rescue! Luvya guys!!

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I have missed this thread somehow. In the future, for urgent needs where TLA can help, please do send an email to tamara@trueloveaviary.com or PM me. I'm much faster than Rodney!

PS I heard that the baby died, so I'm so sorry about that!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Thanks for the information Tamara.

IMO, you guys are the Go To people on babies.

Ginger

Julio

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julio
I'm not sure if anyone has said this before or asked this before but what mutations are your lovebird pair? I per example have a pale fallow . Its a very weak mutation not as weak as the bronze fallow wich has the highest mortality rate. But the muation just has a higher chance of the babies dying withing 3 days. I know its probably not anything that will help you right now but its being overlooked alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.