• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More cats found...

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
In my part of Canada we have lots of wildlife (bears,wolves,cougars,moose, elk eagles,hawks ect) anyways, lately around my area there have been cats disappearing, and now we finally know why. A hawk has been coming around and eating cats, in 8 weeks alone 6 cats showed up dead and half eaten with talon wounds in the back. A friend of mine had the unfortunate luck of witnessing one of these attacks. It happens so fast, the cat doesn't even see it coming. The local game and wildlife people say her mate was killed by a wolf, she has babies to feed and is seeking easy prey, also to keep the cats inside. Of course some people don't listen and let their cats out anyways, but they run the risk of loosing their pets. I'll spare you the details of the 2 cats I found while walking my dogs. I don't have cats (my dad is allergic) but if I did, they would be indoor only cats that go outside in the backyard on leashes with supervision xD

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
Wow, that's so sad! I always cringe when people say they have outdoor cats. It's not that I don't trust their judgment, but the combination of wildlife/predators (people assume coyotes and wolves are the only problem) and traffic - even responsible motorists and especially at night really makes having outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
How terrible for the cats and their poor owners. I hope the hawk and her babies will move out of the area once the little ones are able to fly well. My cats aren't allowed outside either. Between all the wildlife we have here, stray cats showing up with who knows what kind of diseases, and drivers that don't watch out for anything, I'll keep my babies safe inside.

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I just don't like the idea of outdoor cats, some people hate cats and.. Ugh I don't even want to go there. I don't think the cats knew what hit them, its so fast. People fail to realize where we live, we have large predators who can and do eat cats. I've seen cats hit by cars on the side of the road twice in three years. It always makes me sad, actually it makes me sad no matter what animal is hit by a car, it makes me want to cry. Sometimes when its near my house I bury them. I buried a squirrel last fall :( poor squirrel

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Sad story, but that is how wildlife survives. I understand how you feel because one day, on the way to work, a hawk flew across my car's windshield with a little bird in its talons. The captive bird was screaming. I will never forget the sight or the sounds.