• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent More blood feathers

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Charlie has about 5-6 broken blood feathers on one wing and maybe one or two on the other. They aren't gushing blood and I stopped the bleeding. But eariler today he made them bleed when he was preening. I'm freaking out I don't know what to do. If I pull out all the ones on his left wing he would have like no feathers left. I have no idea how to deal with this at all! Is a trip to the vet the best idea? I don't know why they keep breaking! I want to just cry I feel like I'm doing something wrong

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You should consider taking him to the vet. Has he been to one yet? Give him extra nutritious food since he has lost a bit of blood. What is he doing to break the feathers besides preening? One of the problems when you pull blood feathers is that the bird just winds up getting more new blood feathers with the potential to break again and bleed. When Kuiper broke multiple blood feathers and I took him to the vet he was given an iron injection due to the blood loss.
Hope you can figure out what is going on with Charlie and the feather breakage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would have an avian vet look at them That sounds like too many at one time. Try to keep the cage simple for the night. I would mange remove a few perches. Pad under the newspaper so no injuries. Try to keep things calm and use night lights.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Oh, I'm so sorry Becky! To think you just had to deal with this not long ago. :(

I'm sure someone with more experience regarding blood feathers will chime in here soon, but for me... if there were that many broken, I'd probably say a trip to the vet would be a good idea. One or two are enough to deal with at home, too many and I'd be worried about blood loss.

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
He hasn't bleed alot but enough that I notice that keep breaking . I have no idea what he's doing .he usually just sits on his cage and he hasn't fallen off his cage. I'm freaking out .We just took him to vet last week when we were dealing with that first one. I'm going to have to call around and see if my vet will take a payment plan for this trip since I didn't think we'd have to make 2 trips in 2 weeks. Just feelinf really defeated right now

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't feel defeated. Call the vet's office and let them know what is happening and see what they recommend. Did he have any blood work/full exam?
Is he flapping a lot? Flying around in the cage a lot and bumping the feathers? Is he just breaking wing feathers?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Definitely need to make an appointment, and soon.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
He hasn't bleed alot but enough that I notice that keep breaking . I have no idea what he's doing .he usually just sits on his cage and he hasn't fallen off his cage. I'm freaking out .We just took him to vet last week when we were dealing with that first one. I'm going to have to call around and see if my vet will take a payment plan for this trip since I didn't think we'd have to make 2 trips in 2 weeks. Just feelinf really defeated right now
Most will. Ask if you can put a down payment (like 25% of the bill) and then they can bill your card every month for the remainder (split up in 12 months for instance).

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
He doesn't fly at all since I think he knows he can't ( all his feAthers are growing back in since his old cage mate barbered/plucked his feathers) and he's barley in cage so I'm freaking stumped on what is happening. I'll try and get a photo if he will let ne

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok, can you pls remind me how old Charlie is? Blood feathers are itchy, at least for my sweet pea, she will come to me for scritches. What type of diet is Charlie getting?

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Here is his wing with the bunch. And they are bleeding every now a then a little and then on the other wing he has about 2 like that. I noticed blood on his beak today and then when I looked he had a little blood splatter in his wings so I looked under and seen all these

Attachments

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Charlie right now is on zupreen pellets with chop and fresh veggies and a little seed . Along with apples strawberries grapes as treats in his seed dinner at night. Fresh water changed 3 times daily

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try to make sure to add lots of greens, like kale, broccoli to his meals. You may have to chop them super fine in the beginning.

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Yes he hates broccoli but I will go and try everything other green I can ! I just don't know why he's breaking them so easily .I know he has so many right now. He has 4 alone on his tail since it's finally growing back in! I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing .And I really don't want to pull almost 7 of those out! It was hard enough doing the one last week!

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Most will. Ask if you can put a down payment (like 25% of the bill) and then they can bill your card every month for the remainder (split up in 12 months for instance).
I'd pay it all Friday when we got paid! If I had noticed early today I would of put off filling the car up and paying the internet for a day or 2 and taken him right away. I'm going to call first thing in the morning and just keep an eye on him over night .He hasn't bleed anymore since we applied the corn starch

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
I would have an avian vet look at them That sounds like too many at one time. Try to keep the cage simple for the night. I would mange remove a few perches. Pad under the newspaper so no injuries. Try to keep things calm and use night lights.
Last night he slept on top of his cage ( I could not get him in) and I always have a lamp on in livingroom for the kids .so I'm thinking letting him sleep there again tonight so I don't have to worry about falling from his perch or hurting himself in the cage ( he is a butt when we first cover him up at night).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try beet greens, mustard greens, endive, chicory, just stay away from romaine right now, huge E.coli infection in the USA.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My Twilight used to break his blood feathers constantly. He was always a clumsy boy, and the vet said that some birds just break more than others. He ate a good diet with a lot of variety too. In the last few months it got worse and they would bother him so he would mess with them. I wish I got a second opinion then, because unbeknownst to me he had developed an infection. They didn’t look infected on the surface, but he got septicemia from it and died a week ago. I miss him so much. I’m sure this won’t happen to your bird, but it’s something to be aware of. I hope you can figure out how to stop the feathers from breaking.