• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monkey Chow WHICH ONE???

LaurenL16

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren L
Hi all, I have seen posts but very little information has come of them for me....

We rescued a umbrella 2 Friday, she has a radial abdominal hernia and needs surgery.

To get the surgery, she needs to put on weight (shes to thin :-( ) the vet said get MONKEY CHOW (BISCUITS) Soak 1 in hot water til soft and feed 1 daily. For 3-4 weeks.

Which monkey biscuit? Plant base for like leaf eaters, it has crude protein of no less than 23%.
Or ape/gorilla picture biscuits protein of no less than 20%. Please help.

LaurenL16

Real Name
Lauren L
She does, but shes picky on her fruits n veggies. We just got her so know very little about the poor baby.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've fed zupreem monkey biscuits to my amazons. I gave those in addition to pellets. Sometimes wet, sometimes dry.

LaurenL16

Real Name
Lauren L
And this will hopefully help with weight gain??

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Monkey Biscuits - They are 20 - 30% protein and have some animal fat and sugar in them. Protein is what you want to put weight on her rather than fats. I think if you feed some monkey biscuits with Prozyme. Amazon.com : Zack & Zoey Prozyme (200 gm : Pet Supplements And Vitamins : Pet Supplies Prozyme predigests the protein and fats and provides more complete adsorption of their food.

I have a female GW that is hard to keep weight on and I use it quite often. It's a good product and will help with her weight gain.

There are also products out there that add calories to their diet. I can't remember the names of any of them, but someone will come up with a few.

As far as drugs go Vitamin shots B-1 will greatly increase her apetitie - I have had to do this with my girl too. Mirtazapine will accelerate the digestive tract and the bird will feel hungry again soon.

All of thes things have been approved and prescribed by my veterinarian - I've been with him for 20 years now and he's a good one.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If she will not eat the biscuits when wet with water, you could try using a small amount of no sugar added fruit juice.

LaurenL16

Real Name
Lauren L
The vet stated monkey biscuits. Mazuri only...?!?!?
Or eggs. Cooked/scrambled. She needs to put weight on fast but healthy for surgery in 3-4 weeks

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can order directly from Mazuri. Here's a monkey crunch biscuit: Monkey Crunch 20 Biscuit 5M29 20 lb | Mazuri® Exotic Animal Nutrition There are a few other monkey biscuit products. Show the vet and ask which kind you should order. I order Insectivore for my sparrow from Mazuri.
I used to use Zupreem monkey biscuits with my birds and many years ago, before there were hand feeding formulas, would use those to create a hand feeding formula.