• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
cheeky ju st finished a very long slow molt around the end of nov and now she's started a new one. It been this way from the beginning two years ago. Her feathers grow back fine and are healthy and she doesn't seem bothered by it. Does anyone else's bird do this? What is probably causing this? I feel bad for her constantly preening new feathers and of course it's a nuisance to me to keep vacuumed up. Her avian vet says she's healthy and isn't concerned about it , but I am.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower is only 9 months old, but she has been molting since August. Maybe some birds just molt slowly? Perhaps it has to do with the temperature. We don't really have seasons where we live and we keep the temperature in the house fairly constant throughout the year.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My one male budgie seems to molt quite often, especially on head and neck.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Buddy had a slow molt in October that seemed to last for the entire month....and yesterday morning, we found almost a dozen feathers on the cage floor!
He even lost a few more during his shower. There are no bare patches or anything like that on him anywhere. He's the same grumbly self, so he doesn't seem uncomfortable...