• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Molting?

ParrotletLeo

Moving in
Real Name
Maddie
Hey guys. So I have a parrotlet who is turning 2 years old this month. He is molting right now, feathers on the floor, cranky and so on. The unusual thing is that he keeps puffing up and sleeping. He hasn't been himself. I also noticed that hasn't been able to fly. Every time he does he just falls. He doesn't seem to be in any pain though. He lets me touch both his wings and doesn't show any signs of pain. I'm worried about him seeing as parrots are very good at hiding their illness. He's never been sick before or not been able to fly. He hasn't had any night frights recently either. I've done a little research but haven't been able to find anything related with molting and not being able to fly. Is it possible that he bruised his wing? He doesn't seem to be favoring any of them in particular. Has anyone ever had anything like this before? He's never been tired/ not able to fly before because of a molt. There are no visible signs on him. Is it just the new feathers coming in?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m not sure what’s causing him to have those difficulties. When was his last vet check up? As you said they’re very good at hiding illness and it’d be good to get an idea of where his health is at as a whole.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you need to get your little guy to an avian vet. A molt might make a bird a bit tired and cranky, but they should still be active and able to fly. Is he eating okay?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Mine molted last year and they are grumpy. It happened at about the 20 month mark. They get really grumpy and sleepier earlier but still super active and eating fine. We add more protein to their diet when they molt to help replace feathers and help it along.

We take all our animals to the vet whenever they are going through any changes, behavior or otherwise. Is he pooping, eating and playing at all? Take him to a vet, I would get it checked out to avoid any issues and nip it in the bud early and they may have great advice after seeing your baby. Please let us know how he is doing. I have two and this would be a learning experience. Thanks very much!