• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Lately Kamara has been loosing a lot of her fluffy chest feathers (like, they're all over the room and her cage but she doesn't look balder) that have begun to grow back from when she plucked in her old home. I don't see her pluck and I'm with her for like 90% of the day. I'm thinking she may be molting but unfortunately I don't know much about the process, is there a specific time of year it happens? Should I give her specific foods to help the process? Approximately how long does molting take in a lovebird?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Molting is like when we lose hair. It happens all the time. There are periods, usually twice a year, when they do heavier molts. The time of year depends on location, lighting, temperature, etc. Molting will not create bald patches.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Soulds like molting to me more than self-plucking. Keep an eye on the bird but should be ok. Molting can be a stressful time so make sure the bird doesn't encounter any other stress if possible.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Molting is like when we lose hair. It happens all the time. There are periods, usually twice a year, when they do heavier molts. The time of year depends on location, lighting, temperature, etc. Molting will not create bald patches.
I was under the impression they molted once a year but it's good to know that it happens all the time normally.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
My tiel is going through a pretty significat molt right now.
Sometimes it lasts a couple of days.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I usually give a little extra protein in the form of bee pollen and some red palm oil during molts.