• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

mites on budgies

birbie

Moving in
I recently took 2 of my budgies to the vet and she said they have knemidokoptes mites; I had taken them in because I thought one of them had bumblefoot, and the other needed a nail trim, but she said both of them have mites and other birds in the room might be affected as well. She recommended 3 Ivermectin treatments for each bird (2 weeks apart), which will end up being about $400. total. I got the first treatment for the 2 birds I had taken in. I am not sure how the treatments were administered as the birds were taken to another room with a tech, but she did say that it has to be precisely measured based on their weight. I will take them for the remaining treatments with the vet if necessary, but I found some products for mites online and was wondering if others have experience with them and if I should try using them instead of going back to the vet (or at least try them and then go back to the vet if needed).

I found this Ivermectin solution you add to water: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More (they also have a spray)

and I also found this Moxydectin treatment that you add to water: Scatt from Vetafarm for treating air sac mites and scaly face
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/scatt.html
and I already have a spray like this one but have not used it for several months: 8 in 1 Ultra Care Mite & Lice Bird Spray, 8 oz. | Petco Store

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry I don't know anything about mites. Hope someone will have some information for you soon!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I would stick with the Ivermectin the vet wants to do ..its normally injected or sometimes applied to affected area ...I would also clean the cage with F10 and soak all toys and dishes in F10 as well ...nothing can be to clean and I would clean with F10 during the all of the treatments on a weekly basis if not more ....so sorry this is happening ... keeping it all clean and treatment is the cure ..best of luck :hug8:

birbie

Moving in
I would stick with the Ivermectin the vet wants to do ..its normally injected or sometimes applied to affected area ...I would also clean the cage with F10 and soak all toys and dishes in F10 as well ...nothing can be to clean and I would clean with F10 during the all of the treatments on a weekly basis if not more ....so sorry this is happening ... keeping it all clean and treatment is the cure ..best of luck :hug8:
Thank you, I will definitely get the F10. I found some 0.1% Ivermectin drops I am going to ask the vet if it is ok to use in the future. Strangely enough the birds with the mites are inside, but I have 5 outside in an aviary with no signs of mites.