• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mites! Maybe...

Spudpig

Moving in
I sold a old ferret cage and went over to the new owners house to help set it up. While there I met, played with and handled her ferrets. I then found out they just got back from the vet that day and have eat mites! I got home and threw my shoes in the freezer, put clothes in laundry and took a extended shower. This happen only about a hour ago and I'm having problems finding info on if they can spread to birds. I have 2 dogs who are in and out of the same room with my little GCC and my bird doesn't come into contact with the other pets of the home. I have a hamster, hedgehog and leopard gecko in a spare room. What should I be looking for? How can I prevent anything from spreading? All advice, thought, other experience is welcome and wanted.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg: Hope none of them hitched a ride with ya!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Unfortunately... you "mite" have picked some up! Scratching is a tell tale sign that you "mite" have to watch out for! ;)

Spudpig

Moving in
Okay 1 week and no signs of mites! Whew! I just wished I would've gotten a heads up BEFORE going over lol but all is well

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can put white paper on the bottom of the cage at night and if there are dark specks on it on the morning it could be mites. But it sounds like you are in the clear if it's been a week.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I want to say most mites are species specific. Sounds like you're in the clear though!

Spudpig

Moving in
Well just a vet check up for sneezing and forgot to ask about mites lol. I got the all clear from the sneezing though so theres that haha