• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mites and feather loss?

Sorptomber

Moving in
Hi everyone! Around a month ago, I finally got all my canaries and budgies for my aviary. This made my dad interested in birds again, so he got a pair of kakarikis. A yellow and red hen named Sheila and what I think could be a green and yellow pied cock named Bruce (Don't ask about the names, my mam got to decide that ahaha) They both came from a pretty bad household. I wasn't with my dad when he got them, but he said that he wasn't allowed into the owners house. He brought them home in this horrible cage. No feeders or water, just lettuce on the floor. It was tiny and wasn't even secured right, it was basically a hamster cage. Sheila seemed fine and healthy, but Bruce's feathers were all grey and seemed to be over groomed. He was missing feathers on his head and he looked just horrible. We put him on a seed/pellet mix and gave him apples, carrots, pears, banana, egg, and all that sorta stuff. We also gave him a molting tonic to see if it would help his feathers. He was seeming to get better until recently, we saw the green come back to him along with some red and yellow. His head was getting fuller by the day. But now, his head and face is almost bald. We can see his ears clearly, which we couldn't see before and he seems to be overgrooming his feathers again. I can't see any mites on his skin, but I have heard of mites that live i the quills of the feathers. We're going out to get him some mite medicine tomorrow, but I was just wondering if any one else thinks it could be something other than mites? Even though Bruce isn't technically my bird, I love him to bits and I hate seeing him in this state, I thought he was getting better. Thanks!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you take picture please we can sometimes help you better if we can see what you are talking about.

Comet

Strolling the yard
How long ago did you get the kakarikis?
Also, have you observed him over-preening, or perhaps her plucking his feathers, if they're still together? If they are together, he should be put into a separate hospital cage until he is on the mend.
I work at a specialty pet store, and frequently work with customers who have dogs, cats, or even young puppies or kittens with severe skin problems ranging from food allergies to fleas to mites among other medical conditions. One thing I have learned is that coconut oil (organic and virgin, for the safety of the animal) is a miracle worker. It is safe and healthy for animals as small as a mouse. It helps heal the skin, promotes fur (or feather!) growth, and soothes irritation. Another bonus is that it smothers mites, and can completely eradicate them when applied frequently for a long enough period of time - usually a thin layer massaged onto the skin once or twice a day for one to two weeks. It can also be added to food. Just a little bit for the bird, if he will eat it. You could place a pea-sized amount on a piece of fruit or vegetable for him. Note that adding it to food will just help with skin and feather health, not the possibility of mites.
I hope this helps some!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't use over the counter mite medication. And mite medication should only be used if you know the bird has mites. Not as a preventative. You can try putting white paper on the bottom of the cage over night and see if there are dark specks on it in the morning. If so, it could be mites. I think a vet check is a good idea....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I treat birds when they first arrive for mites, worms, etc. Can't afford to have them bringing in mites to my others - been there, done that. Mites are extremely hard on canaries, especially if you are breeding them.

I use "Avian Insect Liquidator" when they are in quarantine and then every 3 months. You have to spray it on them and the nest or bottom of cage. It's very effective. Most likely you'll need to order it online, I've never seen it in a store. Most products that are in the pet stores do not work IMO.

I also sprinkle diatomaceous earth (get it at Home Depot) in the trays where they can't reach. This helps kill any stray mites, ants, and so on.

However I am wondering if he's being plucked?