• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Miss Nova is a young lady already!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh boy, I never thought it would happen so fast, Nova is only 9.5 months but she is already showing a brown ceres!! Neither Merlin nor Nova are acting any differently, they seem happy in the new flat and finding their marks, no flirting as far as I can see, but I don't know what they do when I'm at work...

20190507_161342[1].jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cute birdies!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh boy, I never thought it would happen so fast, Nova is only 9.5 months but she is already showing a brown ceres!! Neither Merlin nor Nova are acting any differently, they seem happy in the new flat and finding their marks, no flirting as far as I can see, but I don't know what they do when I'm at work...

View attachment 303608
Time for a nest cam??? Video cameras are awesome for some of us that worry.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
NEST?? :omg:Are you kidding? I don't want a nest around here!! I have no clue how to help her if things go wrong.. :dead:
No worries.

The nest cam is one you can talk through. You can always call friends or family to go by and provide help for them, too.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
No worries.

The nest cam is one you can talk through. You can always call friends or family to go by and provide help for them, too.
That is, if you have family around or friends willing to handle birds... :D Which is not my case :)
But if I can talk through, I can tell Nova what to do! :hehe: Like NOT doing anything leading to egg/babies, so we stay on the safe side! :lol:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have to correct my first statement, Nova has indeed changed her behavior slightly, she destroys and explores and plays much more these past days/couple of weeks. Her razor-shaped beak has been very active today, there were toys and newspaper on the floor when I came home, which never happened before.
And I can safely say she is the culprit, Merlin is never doing anything out the kind, he is a boring and well-educated bird that wouldn't even thing of commiting to such unruly mischief.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
And I can safely say she is the culprit, Merlin is never doing anything out the kind, he is a boring and well-educated bird that wouldn't even thing of commiting to such unruly mischief.

I must say I nearly spit out my tea when I read this about Merlin!
Sounds a lot like Fergus!
Both Nova and Merlin have such vivid blue coloring... just gorgeous!

When I got Fiona she was 'supposed to be' a baby, but having little experience I could have misjudged I guess.
Her cere did not turn brown at all for the entire time she has been here - (1 1/2 years!) I can't believe it would take them that long for her to come in season - do you think that is possible @PoukieBear @Budgiebonkers and @Lady Jane ? Would it be possible for a budgie to go a full year and a half without a brown cere, or do you all think I just missed it when she did? Her cere has surely been brown now for a long time - in fact, since April 12! So a solid month now. I made a post about the debutante somewhere here LOL !

FIONA BROWN CERE STILL 5 12 19.jpg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes I remember your post, and I was surprised that Nova was so young compared to Fiona!

Merlin is a very kind and correct gentlebird, but he is not much fun, always by the book.. Nova, and Tikki who lost his battle to disease last Summer, are/were much more active and playful birds, actually using the toys and trying the foods I give them. Had it only been for Merlin, he would sit all day long between them without even looking at them.. :meh:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you sure you have a female? My Mickey has had so many changes in her cere I stopped wondering what is going on.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I must say I nearly spit out my tea when I read this about Merlin!
Sounds a lot like Fergus!
Both Nova and Merlin have such vivid blue coloring... just gorgeous!

When I got Fiona she was 'supposed to be' a baby, but having little experience I could have misjudged I guess.
Her cere did not turn brown at all for the entire time she has been here - (1 1/2 years!) I can't believe it would take them that long for her to come in season - do you think that is possible @PoukieBear @Budgiebonkers and @Lady Jane ? Would it be possible for a budgie to go a full year and a half without a brown cere, or do you all think I just missed it when she did? Her cere has surely been brown now for a long time - in fact, since April 12! So a solid month now. I made a post about the debutante somewhere here LOL !

View attachment 304074
Yes it is possible it took so long as having only two they take longer to mature when one has a flock hens tend to go in condition sooner I have a male in my house and his cere is not fully blue yet and hes over a year but his siblings who live outside had a blue cere since about 5 months old and his sisters cere was brown at about the same time

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes it is possible it took so long as having only two they take longer to mature when one has a flock hens tend to go in condition sooner I have a male in my house and his cere is not fully blue yet and hes over a year but his siblings who live outside had a blue cere since about 5 months old and his sisters cere was brown at about the same time
Wow... I have only those two (and a parrotlet until March 15th) but Merlin is much older than Nova, maybe that triggered her faster maturation? She does not behave like she was to have babies though, she is her old self, just a little more destructive at times.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow... I have only those two (and a parrotlet until March 15th) but Merlin is much older than Nova, maybe that triggered her faster maturation? She does not behave like she was to have babies though, she is her old self, just a little more destructive at times.

Fergus is quite the little gentleman also, but I'm sure he would take advantage of the situation if Fiona allowed him access! I got Fergus in June 2017 and Fiona in November of the same year... So I figure he is at least 5 months older than she. I guess it was companionship that led her to want to be in Fergus' cage so much. She fussed and chewed and stomped and raised quite a ruckus until she moved into his cage! After that, she was just a normal little bossy girl!
@Gribouille - how much older is Merlin than Nova?

Thanks @Budgiebonkers , that makes perfect sense!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He was adult when I got him in August 2016 so he is at least from 2015. Nova was born in the Summer 2018

Ahhhh - one of those May to December romances aye?
Grinning here, cuz my Daddy was 15 years older than my Mama!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ahhhh - one of those May to December romances aye?
Grinning here, cuz my Daddy was 15 years older than my Mama!
:roflmao: Actually I can't see that they are in love. Bonded yet, but no flirting/courting (yet...)