• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Minimum size cage for budgie to fly between perches

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi, all. It has been a long time since I've posted here.

In your experience, what is the minimum size cage for a single budgie to fly between perches?

I have a budgie in a scallop-top cage that's 18x14x22 inches, and he's about to inherit from his recently deceased companion a flat-top cage that's 18x18x22 inches. Having seen the two cages side-by-side for the past four years, the flat-top is clearly more spacious and a nice size for a single bird that can be out of the cage during the day. However, I'm also considering moving up to an even bigger cage. I've never seen either budgie fly in the 18x18x22 cage, which I think is because the cage is just a little too small for even that basic perch-to-perch flight. I've had my eye on a 25x21x29, and I think that might cross that "fly-able" threshold if I arrange the perches right. That has become my ideal minimum for cage size.

At the bird store where I bought the 18x18x22 cage, I mentioned upgrading several years ago to one of the workers. She said the 18x18x22 was a "mansion" for a single budgie, as if my thought of a bigger cage was ridiculous. I'm not sure I agree. What do you think?

Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pet stores are usually quite backwards in their thinking re: cage size. I know a lot of people on this forum use a flight cage, 32"x21", for budgies. An HQ flight cage is among the favourites.

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It was actually at a bird store that the worker said that (I edited the post to clarify it). Although those bird-specific stores can be a great place to get supplies that you won't find at the major chain stores, some of the workers can be overly fixated on the big parrots and seem dismissive of budgies. I've actually had workers at the large chain stores who showed more appreciation for these less glamorous birds and their quality of life.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They have about a 12 inch wingspan so depth wise, 18 would be the smallest. Flight cages start at 30 inches (30x18x18 being the smallest flight I know of) so I would be inclined to say 30x18 would be the smallest for an actual fly vs hop.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)