• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mini Rescue Mission!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I think this is the right thread?

So last night I was out at the shops for my friend's birthday party. I was inside the food court when the birthday girl herself comes rushing up to me and says there's a hurt bird fluttering on the floor in the underground parking lot. I immediately rush out and there sits a very young, female house sparrow. Her legs were splayed and she had a yellowish grey liquid coming out her beak. Another lady arrived and picked her up as I was reaching for her. The birdie didn't move. This led me to believe that she had flown straight into the large glass window wall since as far as I know even an injured wild bird would struggle. This girl didn't move. The woman was saying how she knew a man who looked after birds and then released them. That's when the bird flew out of her hand and straight into a wall. The other people there laughed and said that she was a stupid bird. That got me upset to put it mildly. I rushed after her and hid her in my hands and in my hair so she was in the dark. We then went to sit down and I put her in a jacket so she could relax in darkness and hopefully regain her bearings. Unfortunately, due to my age and not having anyone available to take me I couldn't get her to the vet. But by the time we were about to go, she popped out the side and flew up onto a shop sign looking as good as new! We decided to name her Arrow as she flew like one. I really really hope that she will be okay!!! How quickly can birds get over trauma like that? No pics of her as I didn't want to add to her stress.

This sent me back to February, to when the first little House Sparrow that confirmed by desire to become a parront and Eros joined the family.
This little sparrow fell through our bathroom window. He was only just too young to actually fly yet and had fallen out of the nest we always have in the roof rafters. Unfortunately, the postioning of the nest and the fact it was 6+ m off the ground and staircase meant we couldn't get him back up. I cared for him for several days on mealworms and dog cubes. He got strength back and I put him back on the ledge. His mother and father had been frantically calling for him. And now that he could fly and had lots of strength, they guided him onto the open window and then back to their nest. To Waffles, thank you for giving me my trebled love for birds!

Screenshot_2016-10-22-09-37-39-1.png

Last edited:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
LOVE and good news story! Your a special person also! God bless you!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Awww @Lodah thank you! I am hoping Arrow and Waffles are having the best of lives too:joyful: