• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mini Macaw, maybe Illiger's Macaw???

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
With the new photos, I can more easily lean towards an illiger mix. Is there any red whatsoever in her tail feathers? Especially near the base? I see what I believe to be some blue tinge to the tail feathers, towards the end, which would support the idea of her being an illiger mix. (or a severe!)

I would almost go as far as to say an illiger x hahns, but the head seems to be lacking in blue coloration. The overall green body, greener flights and green tail feathers, along with the red coloration to the shoulders would support a hahns mix.

Makes me wonder though what a severe x large conure hybrid could look like...

I've come across some other potential hybrids between the minis and even one with a conure, but no pictures included... I don't doubt the info, just a shame that there's no photos for evidence.

I could share the photos and get more suggestions on what exactly she may be? Will help to know how much she weighs in grams, once you can figure that out!

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! You're so helpful.

Her feathers are not in the best shape because she's been under some stress and with us for less than a week. Would her differences in coloration be affected by her plucking or her previously poor nutrition?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thanks! You're so helpful.

Her feathers are not in the best shape because she's been under some stress and with us for less than a week. Would her differences in coloration be affected by her plucking or her previously poor nutrition?

Yes, it could. Generally speaking though, that wouldn't change much, but it is possible.

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
Size is screaming Severe!

I've noticed with Syd that when I first scritch open the feathers around his nares, they tend to have bright red tips that eventually turn chestnut.

He is a very dusty Severe today...just got done with a long overdue scritch session. I put on a aet of iridescent light green nails last week, which of course, he was terrified of...lol...but he finally let me get in some scritches today. I think his need to have me open those pins far outweighed his scaredy bird fears of my nails.

Julie260

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Julie K
Hi there! I have an Illigers, and I thought that an interesting way to distinguish is by the color of the skin around the face. The Severe's is white and the Illiger's is a cream/yellowish color. Sounds like a small difference, but that way, you can possibly figure out the mix (if it is a mix). I do agree that the size really is fitting for a Severe. However, that reddish dot on the front is what is throwing me off! If she is 100% Severe, that would be a darker brown color. Let us know what you figure out! :)

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
I have noticed that the Illiger's have a yellowish tint to the skin. Our mini does not. It is definitely white! The little red patch is the only thing that doesn't match a severe.

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
What about the feet? All the severes I've seen have black feet and she has light feet with black nails.

She's doing very well so far. We've had her since Saturday and she bonded with my husband right away. This is our first macaw. We've had sun conures and currently have parakeets and macaws are definitely on another level! It's exactly what my husband has been wanting.

She is about 1 1/2 -2 we think. Her original owner kept her covered a lot and she had some issues with plucking, then the people we got her from had her for a few months and the plucking had lessened, but they weren't taking the best care of her. They clearly didn't know what they had because they said she was a Hahns. They sold her with the cage for about what the cage is worth, and the food she came with did not seem appropriate for a bird her size. We heard that these people might be flippers, but we feel like we rescued her. :heart: She definitely will be well cared for and loved!
Can't go by the feet....Syd's feet are flesh colored, with just a few black speckles

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She does not appear at all like a severe macaw. Not in face, beak, or size. Severe macaws are almost the size of an umbrella cockatoo. This mini mac is nowhere near that size. Looks only about 200-250 grams or so. Look at its tiny feet sitting on the hand. Id definitely say an Illiger macaw, pure, thats lacking normal coloration due to a bad diet. Or a very big hahns hybrid. Its hard to say without more pictures. Maybe of her near a can of soda or soup or other sizable objects.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im leaning more and more to pure illiger macaw. Her feet are pale and chubby like an Illiger. She is missing normal red and blues. But I am guessing thats due to age (young?) And bad diet.

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
We were told she's between 1-2. Just in the past week we've noticed her colors change. Her tail and wing feathers have a beautiful iridescent blue. She is missing the bluish tinge on her head and does seem larger than a Hahns would be.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mirdie said:
We were told she's between 1-2. Just in the past week we've noticed her colors change. Her tail and wing feathers have a beautiful iridescent blue. She is missing the bluish tinge on her head and does seem larger than a Hahns would be.
Sounds like a young illigers macaw.

Get her in a good diet and she'll be fine.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mirdiost: 2661300 said:
I assume the lack of blue tinge is age/diet related. She could also be a green mutation.