• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mini Macaw, maybe Illiger's Macaw???

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
Hello all. We recently adopted/rescued what we were told was a Hahn's macaw. After doing more research on these, as well as other mini macaws we are thinking she may be an Illiger's Macaw because she has a bright red spot on her forehead as well and beautiful blue in her wings. Can anyone help identify our new mini macaw?

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
I'm trying to upload a photo from my phone but it's not working. I'll keep trying...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Looks like a severe to me.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I think it could be an illigers. It also looks strikingly like a severe, especially in size. Some severes can have really bright red where it's generally chestnut on their heads, but I've never met one. My severe has a more brownish red vs bright red.
Definitely not a Hahn's. She's adorable whatever she is. :)

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! I agree, either severe or Illiger's. She does have some red by her legs as well as a little bit of yellow under her wings. She's definitely beautiful and a sweet girl!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
She is beautiful.
Definately too big to be a hanhsie. They are more the size of a senegal but with a long tail and scarier beak. (I love my hahnsie.)

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i would also go for severe macaw and i agree with zoo mom, hann's are definetly smaller !

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
What about the feet? All the severes I've seen have black feet and she has light feet with black nails.

She's doing very well so far. We've had her since Saturday and she bonded with my husband right away. This is our first macaw. We've had sun conures and currently have parakeets and macaws are definitely on another level! It's exactly what my husband has been wanting.

She is about 1 1/2 -2 we think. Her original owner kept her covered a lot and she had some issues with plucking, then the people we got her from had her for a few months and the plucking had lessened, but they weren't taking the best care of her. They clearly didn't know what they had because they said she was a Hahns. They sold her with the cage for about what the cage is worth, and the food she came with did not seem appropriate for a bird her size. We heard that these people might be flippers, but we feel like we rescued her. :heart: She definitely will be well cared for and loved!

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I'm thinking a hybrid mini macaw. She/he does not have the red on belly and tail like a Illiger's or the blueish head cap.

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
That's kind of what I've been thinking. I see a lot of both in her but I didn't know if there were ever hybrids of the minis because I couldn't find picture of anything similar.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions the more we get to know her! I enjoy reading the forums here to get info from all of you!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm thinking hybrid. Possible cross between illigers and hahns. Although, I'm no expert. We did have a member here with a couple of illigers though. Maybe she will chime in. The face patch says hahns to me. But the long body and red on the forehead say illigers.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I'm thinking hybrid. Possible cross between illigers and hahns. Although, I'm no expert. We did have a member here with a couple of illigers though. Maybe she will chime in. The face patch says hahns to me. But the long body and red on the forehead say illigers.
Well she does look like a giant hahnsie with a red forehead but I haven't seen many illigers and severes. @Holiday any input?.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica do you have an idea of what the species are? I know that you are very familiar with many hybrids.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
More detailed photos with natural light would be great! Particularly back, tail and wings? Also, weight in grams?

I can see possibly severe, and if she had more of a facial head of a severe, I'd even go as far as to say she's severe x red front macaw, but all of those hybrids look very severe-ish... I do not see illiger though.

RFM and RFM x Severe hybrids "Schneider Macaw"
Ken Schneider - Ken Schneider added a new photo. | Facebook

Most of the mini macaw hybrids tend to be hybrids with conures.... i.e.

Noble x Mitred
Hahns x Blue Crown
Hahns x Sun ->Hahns Macaw x Sun Conure Hybrid? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Hahns x Nanday
Hahns x Jenday
Hahns x Sun x Jenday
Illigers x Nanday -> Flickr: Search Hybrid Parrots

There is Noble x Hahns, Yellow-collared x Scarlet and Severe x Scarlet

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
I'll try to get a few more. My husbands not home and she's the only one she'll let handle her right now.

Attachments

Mirdie

Meeting neighbors
Sorry I know these aren't the best photos. I have a hard time getting her out of the cage when my husband isn't home. When he's here she refuses To go near it! Lol

Attachments