• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton's not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton's always been a fussy eater,certain things he likes,then he stops eating that and goes to something else. When we adopted him two and a half years ago, we got his schedule on how he eats. Oatmeal (baby) in AM, pellets,through the day with fresh veggies and a bit of fresh fruit, then baby food in the PM.(more fruits and veggies) We talked with his AV about his diet, and OK'd it.
Yesterday, he ate a bit of oatmeal, and that's it. Today, all he has eaten is some sweet potato (baby food) from my finger.
He's drinking fine, and is in good spirits. In fact, he just tried to attack the pen sitting next to the computer here.
I'm going to try some more food later today. If he doesn't bounce back by tomorrow morning, I'll be calling the AV first thing...

ShreddedOakAviary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christine
On a side note : it's important to know how to check a bords throat for yeast infection. On cockatooa their throats are fairly dry. Get him to open his beak and use a flashlight to look. What you're looking for is either a wet or slimy look. Either one can cause enough irritation to make eating less pleasant. I'd advise going to the vet anyway just in case. Yeast is very easily treated with Diflucan (fluconazole) which the vet can give you if that is the case. Otherwise if something has recently changed (lost his favorite toy, a bird buddy is not noticing him, etc... a cockatio can and will stress themselves into not eating.... especially umbrellas.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope he will be ok!

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Milton, feel better! IDK what to say; IDK anything about his backstory. Has he a history of illness?
:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Milton is just having an off day and is back to his usual self tomorrow! :hug8:

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Oh, oh! I hope he's just feeling extra picky today and that nothing is wrong.

:hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Is he an Umbrella?
Forgive me,a little background here is needed. Milton is a 17 year old Umbrella 'too, who we adopted 2 and a half years ago,from a rescue in Rochester, NY. For us, Milty's had a quite unremarkable medical history, the only thing was a nasal infection he had, just after we brought him home. He was treated with nose drops, (a "fun" time was had instilling them) and he made a quick recovery.
Apart from being picky once in awhile with different fruits, he is a very hearty eater,but he is a small male U2. His weight last week was 540 g, today he was 538, so, a little down.
He did eat a little pasta tonight, and he's still drinking fine. Poops look good,although they're smaller than usual,which is something I'd expect. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow,so I'm assuming we'll be going up to Buffalo for a visit. I think it's a good idea.
Milty is still in good spirits. After I covered him up, he was saying "I a pretty,pretty bird"- between beak grinds...:heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
2 grams is nothing to speak of in that size of bird. Darwin (TAG) gained 11 grams after eating breakfast!
You could give him some natural apple cider vinegar diluted in water or juice 1:100. Can't hurt until you see the vet if needed. And some probiotics if you have it (Benebac).

ShreddedOakAviary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christine
The reason I asked if he was an Umbrella is because I assumed he was probably an Umbrella. U2's are often described by some breeders as "living on air" a way some people will describe their tendency to pick through food without actually eating. Sometimes they are juat moody, somwtimes they are stressed, sometimes they're sick, but no matter the cause you are not alone. Now I will tell you that I have an umbrella male here who is of the smaller type (did you know there are 2a recog ized size types of umbrellas?)the anyway the male here slowed his eating down while I was away.and my girl was caring for everyone... I was gone 4and days and the umbrella was almost starved to death by the time I returned. It was a lot of intensive care, sub q fluids, and calling Scott McDonald late one night when I couldn't reach my regular vet... the point is... they can go downhill much more quickly than people often realize. I'm sure he'll be fine (especially with such a good owner who is paying such close attention )

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Good news...Milton did eat this morning, his oatmeal mixed with some mango. Later in the morning he had a few pellets and a few bites of gala apple, his favorite.
We did contact or AV this morning to discuss the situation. She thought that we should monitor him for the next few days (since he is eating and drinking) for any further changes, so that's what we'll do. If he stops eating or drinking again,we'll let her know.
She did ask us if we got to look down his throat,to see if it was slimy or wet...it wasn't. (good call, Christine) It was very hard to talk to her today because all the time I was on the phone, Milty was hanging upside down from his cage door yelling "I A PRETTY,PRETTY BIRD!"

Status
Not open for further replies.