• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millipedes!

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I don't do bugs. I'm happy for you, but personally I'm a bug-a-phobic.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My dad put together that stand for me, and I cleaned up the 10 gallon! It's drying (I cleaned the inside, scrubbed with baking soda, scrubbed out all the algae and rinsed well) and soon it's gonna get painted!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Decided that instead of doing the 5 and 10, I'm just gonna do the 10. Much easier.

There's a species of millie I'm interested in, they're called the Florida Ivory. Apparently, they're very surface active, they don't burrow much. They sound really neat, and the place I'm buying the substrate from has them for $6.50 each. I'm really tempted, but I think I'm gonna see how the bumblebee and smokey oak millies work out first.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I might like to introduce a few bumblebee millipedes into my bioactive mourning gecko vivarium. They are pretty, and the way they eat detritus would help in maintaining the cleanliness of the enclosure. I already keep roly-polies (woodlice) in there for that purpose, but they aren't very attractive.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
I never imagined that millipedes could be so cool. Wow! You must be very excited!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thought you'd like to meet one of our locals, Ms. Harpaphe.

Bugs are awesome.
Woah! What a cutie!

Last Members night at the Field Museum here in Chicago, I got to chat with the manager of insect collections, she's super young (like, maybe late 20s/very early 30s?) and we talked about how cool bugs are, she also asked if I wanted to hold the beetle she was holding. She was awesome. I also talked with a guy who was holding a cockroach and when he started to move his hands he just stuck the little guy to his shirt. 10/10 bug goals

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
And was a lot more fun to watch than looking at a mounted specimen.

Roaches? We have the small German ones that scurry, they give me the willies. Not sure how I'd react to something a lot bigger.
Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I much prefer them as mounted specimens. These guys were about half the size of your hand. So big. Ehhh no thanks.

At the Shedd Aquarium, they keep roaches in a tank with a marine toad/cane toad. I remember when I first saw the tank I only saw the toad, but then I noticed all the movement... Ewwww no thank you!!!

I also don't like beetles that much. I like mounted specimens (they're so pretty!) and I'm chill with stuff like dermestids, but not a fan of them being alive and invading my house. I'd prefer if they would stay outside. Unless it's Spike the beetle! I'm fine with him, he's a good boy :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ordered the rest of the substrate I need- Shipped out today. So before I know it I'll be able to get the millies!! :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
WAs checking out the centipedes...Not for me but they have giant ones. Says not to touch centipedes as they do bite & some have venom...

Like that cherry red one.

Interesting they only eat once a week but the big ones can eat a mouse!

:omg:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
WAs checking out the centipedes...Not for me but they have giant ones. Says not to touch centipedes as they do bite & some have venom...

Like that cherry red one.

Interesting they only eat once a week but the big ones can eat a mouse!

:omg:
In general, it seems insects don't like to be handled. I'd probably wear gloves to handle them just because they still squick me out a bit, but as long as they aren't of the sort that secretes cyanide, you'll be okay.

Most millies eat dead and rotting plant matter (leaves, wood, etc). I think there are some types that are carnivorous. So that's why the substrate is really important. They live in it, drink from it, mate in it, eat from it. The substrate I'll be using is a mix of compost soil, sand, dried leaves, and sphagnum peat moss, with a bit of calcium carbonate powder to help their exoskeletons. I also have some magnolia leaf litter and some leaf mix that the seller sent with the substrate.

I'd like to have a giant pill millipede one day... Those boys are big! Or the giant african ones, those guys are really neat!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
NOT FOR ME EITHER! !!!!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
NOT FOR ME EITHER! !!!!!!
They definitely are different...and not everyone's kind of critter to have around...I think they're kind of cute, but a lot of people think my choo-choo has gone around too many bends...:D

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I also don't like beetles that much. I like mounted specimens (they're so pretty!) and I'm chill with stuff like dermestids, but not a fan of them being alive and invading my house. I'd prefer if they would stay outside. Unless it's Spike the beetle! I'm fine with him, he's a good boy :)
I actually really like beetles. I found a little horn beetle (not sure what type) when I was younger and have loved them since. Only bug I will pick up without screaming my head off lol

My favorite are any of the Rhinoceros beetles! The atlas beetles are really pretty to me. download.jpg

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I actually really like beetles. I found a little horn beetle (not sure what type) when I was younger and have loved them since. Only bug I will pick up without screaming my head off lol

My favorite are any of the Rhinoceros beetles! The atlas beetles are really pretty to me. View attachment 279250
Oh what a big boy! He's a strong boy!!!

I think they're cute I just don't think I'd be able to touch one without flipping out lol. I was that way with my hermies way back when I had them, I loved them but I never handled them because I was freaked out lol.

I like the big boys. I feel a mix of awe and terror lol

----------

The rest of the millie substrate will be arriving today!!! Yay!!!!

We'll call and ask Josh's Frogs what the best way would be to have the millies shipped before I order them. We're getting closer!!!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The substrate is here! It's in, and I scaped the tank. I made a valley in the middle, with a little cave to hide in.

Question to folks who have experience, what humidity level is best? Right now my tank is maintaining a solid 75% humidity, even if I don't spray the tank down for a few days. I just wanna know if that's high enough :)

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Environment: Room temperature (69 to 78°F/21 to 25°C). Heat pads/lamps are dangerous for millipedes. Keep the substrate moist and mist every few days as the top layer of substrate dries out.

I found this on a a buggie pet forum hope it helps looks like a lot of good info.

Myriapods | Arachnoboards